Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am So Proud and I didn't even give birth to her!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-so-proud-i-didnt-even-give-birth-her-t193176.html)

Nanamoms 06-30-2012 12:01 AM

I am So Proud and I didn't even give birth to her!!

My 22 year old niece is in the process of making her first t-shirt quilt!! Did she come to me for advice? Nope. She went on line and did all the research, then just went to doing it!! She did go with her mom (my sister) to Hancock's and bought rotary cutter, rulers and cutting mat! THEN, they called me! HeHe..that is to borrow some quilt books! She has already stabilized and cut her t-shirts, laid out her blocks, purchased the fabric for sashing and backing and has done an excellent job so far. I haven't seen the actual layout but she did show it to me on her iPhone! She is going to be an algebra teacher so the math was no problem for her!! LOL She is sewing the blocks together this weekend and they went to get batting yesterday at 40% off. Now she did ask my opinion on that and on different terminology that she was unsure of. She left with 4 of my quilt books (think I will get them back? I don't care if I don't!!) The worst part was my sister asked me how many quilts "I've" completed so far. Ok, SISTER, hush!!

Anyway, I'm just so excited that she is interested in quilting. Both my sisters and I have sewn most of our lives and our mother made just about everything we wore so my niece does know what a sewing machine is and how to operate it. And this girl child is very very smart and she's going to make an excellent teacher. I am just as proud of her as if she were my very own child!! I will try to get a pic and post it when she's finished!!

gollytwo 06-30-2012 03:02 AM

I always love hearing about a new generation quilter. Good for her.

twoxover 06-30-2012 03:18 AM

what a great kid! and she's lucky to have you as an aunt!

justflyingin 06-30-2012 03:20 AM

That is exciting. I wonder what made her want to do a tshirt quilt. Do you know, is she using someone's "old" tshirts as a kind of memory quilt?

#1piecemaker 06-30-2012 03:23 AM

You will have to teach her the joys of piecing and appliqueing now. Enjoy her enthusiasm.

Joset 06-30-2012 04:50 AM

way to go she sounds like a great person. i wish her well in life.

barri1 06-30-2012 07:44 AM

It's a little funny, but I bought a sewing machine for my niece for one of her b'days, and I've tried to hint that she should learn to quilt.. I really can understand why she doesn't have time, as she takes a duel curriculm, and she's going into her senior year at high school with a 99 average.. She is going to be the art editor of her year book, but I really want her to learn.. I can still hope..

sandy l 06-30-2012 08:22 AM

Good for your niece. Also will bet that she is going to be a awsome teacher, just the kind we need:thumbup:

Neesie 06-30-2012 08:43 AM

A new quilter . . . and our ranks continue to increase! YAY!!! :thumbup:

carrieg 06-30-2012 08:47 AM

It's good to hear of another 20-something getting into quilting! I taught my neice the basics in December and she is currently in the process of making her first quilt. She did the same thing, found a pattern on line that she liked. She, however, is not familiar with sewing machines. I need to have my MIL show her that. LOL

You Go Girl!