Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am starting a quilting club and need a crash course on quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-starting-quilting-club-need-crash-course-quilting-t50336.html)

dglover5 06-19-2010 05:44 AM

Hello everyone, I an Diana from Meridian, MS. I am starting a quilting club from scratch as part of my job working with seniors. I have 1 sewing machine donated so far and a $25 gift card from WalMart for fabric. I am looking for free patterns, a place to buy fabric in bulk (for start up only), or how to locate possible donation opportunities. I also need a pattern for making quilting frames as funds are a problem and I need to be as self sufficient as possible. HELP!!!!

erstan947 06-19-2010 06:11 AM

Welcome from Louisiana. You have your work cut out for you. What a fun challenge.

watterstide 06-19-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by dglover5
Hello everyone, I an Diana from Meridian, MS. I am starting a quilting club from scratch as part of my job working with seniors. I have 1 sewing machine donated so far and a $25 gift card from WalMart for fabric. I am looking for free patterns, a place to buy fabric in bulk (for start up only), or how to locate possible donation opportunities. I also need a pattern for making quilting frames as funds are a problem and I need to be as self sufficient as possible. HELP!!!!

I would suggest joining a "freecycle" group in your area, join a few neighboring cities, it is allowed. you may get another sewing machine and fabrics this way.

as for free patterns:
www.quilterscache.com
have hundreds of blocks..
or google "free quilt patterns" and what you see will make your head spin!

Good luck with your new venture! the seniors will love it!

dglvr 06-19-2010 06:24 AM

Hi dglover5 from Eastern Washington. What does the 5 stand for. Do you have 5 dogs? Do you have pictures of them?
Maybe you could run an ad under the classifieds looking for
books and fabrics to donate. :thumbup:

pocoellie 06-19-2010 06:27 AM

There are tons of free patterns on the 'net. I think Marshall's Dry Goods has some of the best prices and fabrics. There's also Mary Jo's Fabrics. As for donations of things, maybe you could talk to some of the fabric stores or even thrift stores and see if they would be willing to donate items needed.

LovinMySoldier 06-19-2010 06:31 AM

Also try craigslist for fabric. See if anyone has posted anything for sale and also put an ad out explaining what you are doing. Maybe someone in your area would have some fabric they would like to donate or sell for cheap.

erstan947 06-19-2010 06:32 AM

I have sent you a private message.

Joan 06-19-2010 06:35 AM

I would locate a Quilt Guild near you and see if there's a member that is willing to help you get started. They would know about cheap places to get fabric and probably have patterns that you could have.

The seniors will just love this activity. Start off with simple projects---maybe potholders......There is so much to learn!
What a challenge---Good Luck!

mpspeedy 06-19-2010 06:43 AM

I volunteer at our local Senior Center with a group of ladies who make quilts to raffle off to benefit the center programs. Our biggest source of fabric etc. are members of the center or their families. When someone passes away or downsizes they or their families donate their craft supplies of all kinds to the center either to sell or use for the benefit of the center. We have a 10'x10'closet at the center with floor to ceiling shelves full of fabric, yarn, thread, batting, and other various quilt related stuff. I am currently assembling a quilt top from blocks donated by a member or their family that will be our next raffle quilt. The one we have currently on the frame was made from blocks donated by another member or former member.
Don't forget to contact church groups.

pollyjvan9 06-19-2010 06:43 AM

Hi from Oklahoma City, OK. You might also check with churchs in your area. Many in OKC have sewing and quilting groups and are usually very willing to help with scraps and instructions.

Also, as many already know. I am not a purist when it comes to fabrics. I shop garage sales and thrift stores for cotton items (100% if I can). If you start out with large squares for a scrap quilt the fabric can be very inexpensive this way.

Also, many times garage sale people will let you come on the last day and pick up what is left for free.