Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am a sucker for gadgets.,.. and this caught my eye... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-sucker-gadgets-caught-my-eye-t159275.html)

Dena789 10-11-2011 02:39 PM

I won't be buying it either. For one, it is SO large that it would take up too much space and would never be where I needed it. I generally use a wrist pincushion. It's always where I am.

zoeytoo 10-12-2011 11:14 PM

My favorite gadget is the outside the sewing machine bobbin winder, about $25 I think. Gadgets show how creative people still are. Even if I can't use it, each gadget is somebody's baby. They thought up the idea, made it and got it manufactured. What it is is their 'dream come true' and I applaud anyones dream coming true. I've kept my veg a matic for many years just to look at it. I just bought a Campbell soup gadget that pops up the pop tops. Bet it does not work but I like it for the above reason. I give money to people who need it; why not to an inventor who worked for it. I think the needle that threads for hard-to-see-the-hole people, by sliding through a slit in the metal is pure genius.

While on the hard-to- see topic, I'll tell you a true heart warming thing I saw yesterday. A driver could not make it through the intersection because traffic stopped suddenly and he was left on the crosswalk. A blnd lady started to cross with the stick ahead of her to help her and she reached the car front fender with her stick and stopped. The driver put the car in park, got out, spoke to her and walked her to the other side of the street. I was driving in the opposite lane but would have helped if he hadn't. People can be so nice.

zoeytoo 10-12-2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca

Originally Posted by slk350
I don't think I would have the patience for that gadget. I keep my pins in a cheap small plastic Ziplock container with a cover. I also use the flower head pins.

I use one of these for sewing club. I glued a magnet inside, works for me & almost free is even better.

Where do you find a zip lock container with a cover?

debbieumphress 10-12-2011 11:22 PM

I had to peek. It is different. Can you imagine the way most of us learned to sew and compared to all the gadgets available today? We wouldn't have been able to sew without them. So glad we learned to use the tomato pin cushion.:)

zoeytoo 10-13-2011 12:38 PM

I saw another new gadget in joann's today. It is a bag of perky colored plastic slots. You put your safety pins in the slot and it helps to not hurt your fingers when you are pin basting the layers of your quilt top. I was short on time but I'm giving them a second look next visit. Not sure of the cost. Since I was not buying I didn't need to know. Next time. maybe a bandaide on my finger works as well?

onaemtnest 10-13-2011 06:35 PM

I haven't read all the posts so perhaps someone has already posted this. Hancock's had one that customers could use. The problem is this for me. When I'm taking the pins out of the project I want something I can place, stick, put the pins back into easily. With this gadget you can only put the pins in as loading. Whereas a pin cushion you can quickly find a home for pins coming out of your project. So though it was on sale at the time everyone around it agreed it dispenses just okay but what do you do with the pins after you're done with them...necessitates another pin cushion .... don't have the room for to many gadgets on the table.

be a quilter 10-14-2011 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
I love gadgets, be they for the kitchen, computer, or sewing room...
and just now, while browsing around, I happened to find this...
http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...dispenser.aspx
(the pintastic, a pin dispenser)

This would be something I could use.. (makes note on Christmas list)... I am always poking my fingers when trying to grab a pin. I don't use the pin cushion I made...it sucks.

Do you have favorite gadgets you like to use?

Have you taken note of the size of that thing? It really is large and cumbersome. I know I would try it once and then shove it in a closet lol. IMHO

LindaDeeter 10-14-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo

Originally Posted by true4uca

Originally Posted by slk350
I don't think I would have the patience for that gadget. I keep my pins in a cheap small plastic Ziplock container with a cover. I also use the flower head pins.

I use one of these for sewing club. I glued a magnet inside, works for me & almost free is even better.

Where do you find a zip lock container with a cover?

Zoeytoo, they are the little plastic containers you put left overs in. Find them on the shelf with plastic wrap, zip lock bags, etc. The come in different sizes.