Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am swamped by this Storm at Sea quilt! Help needed, please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-swamped-storm-sea-quilt-help-needed-please-t267697.html)

quiltingshorttimer 07-17-2015 07:41 PM

I am swamped by this Storm at Sea quilt! Help needed, please!

I am working on a queen size Storm at Sea for my daughter--from the fabric used as table toppers on her wedding reception tables. I originally used a pattern for a 12 1/2" block from a Guild BOM class--but realized that the "sashing" on all four sides would cause it not to have that wonderful circular optical illusion that is what makes a Storm at Sea. So I altered it and took out 2 sides of "sashing" and it has the circular illusion--but I also decided to use my Tri-Recs tools for the diamonds and sides for the sashing--and didn't want the middle seam in the diamonds--so I folded the fabric strips over and then cut--and it looked good--until I started putting them together--and the diamonds are about 3/8" too long. also in the process I'm losing the sharp points.

What a mess! Besides the hours spent cutting , and cutting and trimming, etc, I'm now out of the fabric! When I went from a 12 to a 9"finished block I had to almost triple my centers and sashing strips---I'm exhausted with this quilt! If it wasn't for my DD I would be hiding it away. Obviously I should have actually one a complete block or two to trouble shot this--but I kept putting it off and then felt "under the gun" so plunged in---darn it!

So now I'm trying to rethink what I should do--do I take apart the 400 "sashing" pieces, cut down the center diamonds and side triangles or what? I would like to have it done by mid-Sept for their 1st anniversary---but also have some other stuff needed by end of Sept for customers. The rest of the block works--any other remedies?

ClairVoyantQuilter 07-17-2015 08:25 PM

Without a photo visual, I'm doing this by ear, but it would seem to me, reducing the diamond shapes so you can salvage the points would be the only option.

Peckish 07-17-2015 09:21 PM

I agree. I think you have three choices:

1) Live with it, with the points cut off.
2) Take it apart, cut down the diamonds, put back together.
3) Start from scratch with new diamond segments.

Bree123 07-17-2015 11:30 PM

Based on your written description, it might be worthwhile to give them the gift a bit late.

I totally get the rushing bit. I always regret that. I've found that now I need to take the time to write out my entire plan, step by step, if I'm in a hurry. I need to mark which pieces get turned under for my applique or I get on a roll & turn everything under & then get frustrated when I have to yank stitches & deal with the thread breaks.

The other day I made two mistakes back to back -- I traced all the bodies for my Sunbonnet Sue applique backwards & cut it that way. Didn't realize it until I went to stitch it on & it didn't fit; Sunbonnet Sue looked like some kind of contortionist. That same day I was supposed to trace out 6 Sues & 6 Sams on my center blocks. Well, I started with the Sues & just wanted to hurry up & finish ... and traced all 12 as Sues. So I had to remove my marks, dry, press & start all over again.

I do not have time to keep re-doing anything if I hope to be done in time for the quilt show. So far the list seems to be helping. Other than a couple times I have sewn my applique to my pants, I've been good. Oh, the trouble we get ourselves into when we are in too much of a hurry!

Maureen NJ 07-18-2015 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter (Post 7260204)
Without a photo visual, I'm doing this by ear, but it would seem to me, reducing the diamond shapes so you can salvage the points would be the only option.

i agree. Put on a good movie, pour a glass of wine and start unpicking. I did a Storm at Sea and love it as you will when done. I checked and I do not have a seam in my diamond. I remember I used both a Deb Tucker tool (so I could cut down) and the SAS tool to get it to work for me. Good luck. I agree with Bree123 to not put a deadline on it but I would not put it in a UFO pile or it might never get done. Just plug along!

kristakz 07-18-2015 03:02 AM

Would sewing a seam down the middle of the diamond allow you to take up the extra fabric without unpicking everything and starting over? Just fold the unit in half and sew a 3/16th seam (to total the 3/8 you need to take in). I know you didn't want a seam there, but maybe it's the easiest option now?

ManiacQuilter2 07-18-2015 10:58 AM

This is a more difficult pattern than most quilters realize. Sometime it is easier to use paper pieced section when making this quilt.

sewbelle52 07-18-2015 02:01 PM

The Deb Tucker "V" tool is great for part of your problem. Ask me how I know!!

quiltingshorttimer 07-18-2015 08:22 PM

think I must have been channeling what all of you were saying last night while I slept. Got up this morning, picked apart one the of diamond units, cut down the diamond, re-sewed and measured with my breath held--it worked and I have points!! So after going with my daughter shopping for a nephew's wedding (where I also told her she might get the quilt on her 2nd anniversary!), I plopped in the recliner, with a glass of wine, and started ripping. I'm sure glad I heavy starched the fabric so it's not losing shape! So as of now, I have 100 un-sewn---only 300 left to go! Promise to post pictures once I get the top together.

One positive today--I found a great dress for the wedding, plus shoes--both on sale and at the first store we went to--which for someone who hates to shop (except for fabric)this felt like a huge victory!!

Latrinka 07-19-2015 07:55 AM

Just keep on sipping and ripping, you'll get there! Good Luck!