Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am wondering about buying my batting by the roll. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-wondering-about-buying-my-batting-roll-t124410.html)

carslo 05-20-2011 06:00 AM

For those of you that buy your batting by the roll - what do you suggest for home use? I have a lot of quilts to finish for the family in Virginia ( 7 queen size and 1 king ) and was wondering what I should do that is more economical.
I have used Quilters Dream, Warm and Natural, bamboo (too stretchy for anything but a baby quilt), and I think it was Soft and Bright a poly one.
I have never used a poly/cotton blend.

Thanks for any suggestions!

QuiltnNan 05-20-2011 06:03 AM

i use 80/20 warm and natural. occasionally i wish for a higher loft, but this works most often.

natalieg 05-20-2011 06:06 AM

I use W&N or W&W...just love the feel of it!

luvTooQuilt 05-20-2011 06:06 AM

Warm & natural..

PegD 05-20-2011 06:18 AM

Warm and Natural and with a 50% off coupon at Joann's I buy the whole roll. It fits right on the bottom pole of my longarm.

irishrose 05-20-2011 06:23 AM

Do you have a favorite of the ones you've used? I like buying a roll rather than a package - it seems less wrinkled, but I haven't decided on a favorite yet. The cotton poly I used in the last one was nice, but today's all poly is looking good, too. It came off a roll and seems more even and less wrinkled than similar packages. Choices, choices. I am not a fan of the feel of Warm and Natural. I may be the alone on that one.

The cotton/poly was easier to sandwich and easier to FMQ for me, but I like the slight puff of the all poly. I do not quilt heavily.

hairquilt 05-20-2011 06:28 AM

I used my Joanns scratch off coupon for a whole roll of W & N, 60% off. The total was a little over $$200 for 42 yds. I will never have to buy bating again in my lifetime!! It seems Joanns has better deals than Hancocks these days.

MTS 05-20-2011 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by PegD
Warm and Natural and with a 50% off coupon at Joann's I buy the whole roll. It fits right on the bottom pole of my longarm.

I don't even have a longarm and that's the how I buy it.
It's the most economical way to get cotton batting at the lowest price.

For 7 queen quilts, you'll use half the roll.

If you don't want to be out even that much cash, then just buy the 21 yards with a coupon.
That should be enough.

For the king....depending on the size of the quilt top, the batting on the roll might not be large enough.

I had to buy a package (with coupon, natch) for a recent king-size quilt.

feline fanatic 05-20-2011 06:31 AM

Figure out if you are saving by buying it by the roll as well. I once hit JoAnnes during their 50% off batting sale and believe it or not the pre-packaged batting (warm and natural) in queen size (93" x 108" ) worked out to be cheaper per yard than the 93" on a roll of W&N. The roll stuff worked out to be around $6 p/y and the prepackaged worked out to be under $5! Needless to say I stocked up on about 10 packages of the prepackaged queen size. I will only buy it by the roll if it saves me $$

ontheriver 05-20-2011 06:32 AM

I always buy by the roll. Usually warm and natural. Use coupon from Joann. but last time I went the W & N was on sale. I found some called soft and bright. With coupon it was only a little over 100.00. Cheaper than W & N even with coupon. I did not see much difference after quilting so I will be buying this kind from now one.