Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I believe I'm stupid - Jelly Roll Quilt help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-believe-im-stupid-jelly-roll-quilt-help-t208500.html)

JanBar 12-17-2012 04:52 AM

I'm off to watch that video! Your comments have intrigued this novice quilter, and I want to give it a try too! Anything FAST gets my stamp of approval! Thanks everyone!

maviskw 12-17-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 5724034)
I did not do the 45 degree angle, instead I sewed in an inch and a half ( by 2 1/2)piece of solid dark (purple) between each strip, really make the color prints of the strips pop....made a cute childs quilt

I have not really liked a lot of the jelly roll quilts I have seen. Some are wonderful, but some look really boring. But by putting in a really bright square in each seam, that would really made the quilt pop.

stchenfool 12-17-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5721773)
Here's a picture of my Jelly Roll Race quilt. I didn't have a jelly roll so I cut my own stripes. Fast and easy once you know what to do and how to do it :D
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382345[/ATTACH]

Oh I like the idea of making your own strips - use up what ya got!

linkd 12-17-2012 09:24 AM

I made mine with Batiks -- I had the worst time with getting that 45 degree angle going the right way and side. I still don't know why - its just like sewing fabric for a (really, really looooong) binding. If that was part of the race I would still be on the starting line. When I had it all pieced I decided that I wanted it longer so I sewed another set of strips (eight or so) and sewed them alternatly to the top and bottom, cutting the first off at the width of the large pieced area and then going to the other end and doing the same. Can't tell where the original ended and the add ons started.

This pattern is a lot of fun --- but don't start with batiks, find something with a clear front and back and save your sanity.

squires1042 12-17-2012 11:13 AM

We have made many of these quilts in our group and given them to people with different needs. They are fun and quick. We also just used fabrics that were leftovers or donated for our charity quilts. Some of the members were creative and added in squares in between. Some even did some appliques on them of flowers etc turned out really neat.

Tropical 12-17-2012 03:30 PM

I haven't tried this method yet, but I have watched the tutorial since I love Jenny's tuts. When I know I am going to use a method, I take notes as I watch the video. I find it is easier for me to learn if I write the directions down. I bookmark the tutorial and have both handy. :):):)

joannegled 12-17-2012 04:11 PM

45 degree angle sewing of the strips is the same as if you were making bias strips for binding or borders. it is done the same way. directions for bias binding is usually in instructions for quilt making in back of magazines In general knowledge.
It really does look nice. I finished one of these quilts , finished binding last night. It was such a quick quilt. I meandered quilted over all. I will post a pic later, I just joined this group today.
joannegled

nstitches4u 12-17-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jemma (Post 5722807)
this sounds like fun--i am thinking if every one in a group[approx 20] brings a 2 1/2 inch width of fabric we would have a top each meeting for charity

Great idea!

moonrise 12-17-2012 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a batik one I made awhile back. I bordered it in black, then added another border of tie-dyed batik. It's finished now, but I don't have a photo of the finished quilt handy. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382795[/ATTACH]

sewellie 12-17-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5721668)
If you're an idiot, so am I. Apparently you keep grabbing the bottom of the quilt and joining it up to the top and sew it together time and time again. After doing it twice, I got all confused too and decided I was just going to cut everything to 48" and join those together in 3's and 4's. Turned out really nice even if I didn't do it the "approved" way.

\[ATTACH=CONFIG]382331[/ATTACH]

I'm still an idiot. Cold someone do a tutorial on it?
Thanks!