Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't believe I did this!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-believe-i-did-t176220.html)

MaryStoaks 01-19-2012 12:40 PM

I can't believe I did this!!

This has been the most frustrating quilt I've ever made and it's all my own fault! First I loaded the quilt on my Tin Lizzie frame and quilted most of it before I dicovered that I had loaded the top going the wrong direction so the backing was way short, the batting too. So I took it off the frame and added 10 inches to the backing. I loaded it back on the frame and rolled the quilt to where I left off, only to discover that I should have added at least 14" inches to the backing! It's still too short! Now I have to do it again. I wonder what (or if) I was thinking!!!! Am I the only one who's ever done this? I've been quilting for many years and never done this before, maybe I'm loosing it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-19-2012 12:53 PM

I feel your pain. I'm famous for sewing a seam wrong, unsewing it, and sewing it wrong the same way again! Some days the brain takes a vacation without your body.

AnnieH 01-19-2012 01:04 PM

Maybe your brain is distracted by sorting out a worry or stress. You're not losing it. You're just human. Good luck with sorting it out.
Annie

mhansen6 01-19-2012 01:04 PM

Step away from the longarm. Take a walk. Have lunch then take a nap. Then go back and look at it with fresh eyes. Believe me you are not the only one who has done this. Sometimes stepping away for a few minutes really helps.

AnotherMadQuilter 01-19-2012 01:07 PM

You are not alone. My mess up wasn't as painful as yours but I do feel your pain - just to a lesser degree.:) I basted my last quilt with the top/batting on the wrong way also. Thank goodness it was spray basted and that I caught it before I quilted it all! I had only gone around 1 block using stitch in the ditch so it wasn't too difficult to unsew and reposition. I do the same thing as Lisa all the time. It makes me so mad at myself!

Tartan 01-19-2012 02:03 PM

Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. We all have days like that, you are not alone!

luvTooQuilt 01-19-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4890807)
Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. We all have days like that, you are not alone!

Will the bug recover from hitting the windshield?!?!?!?! ROFL...

I sure hope tomorrow is a better day ...

Doreen 01-19-2012 02:29 PM

Slow down and take a breath!

joey 01-19-2012 03:09 PM

Thank goodness.....I thought it was just me...:)

momto5 01-19-2012 05:48 PM

My favorite thing to do (it seems, anyway....) is to plan to leave the backing big enough to just fold it over and make the binding. SO what do I do? I cut a hole in it as I'm "trimming" the batting from the finished quilt, ruining forever any hope of a back to front binding....sigh...