Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I didn't realize I was not totally protecting my machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-didnt-realize-i-not-totally-protecting-my-machine-t56910.html)

fabric-holic 07-30-2010 03:39 AM

I was reading the Sept. 2010 issue of Threads magazine and on page 77 there's a section on machine maintenence. In addition to cleaning, oiling (some machines), near the end of the page it also goes into power surge protectors, unplugging machine during thunderstoms etc.
I already knew these steps so far.
Then I read "...You may disconnect the cord at the outlet or at the machine. If you disconnect at the machine and leave the other end of the cord plugged into the outlet, do not leave the cord touching the machine."
Really? I do that all the time.
They didn't explain why, but I assume the electrical surge from a storm could still affect the machine software?
I just thought I'd pass this on to everyone.

pocoellie 07-30-2010 03:45 AM

I do unplug my machine, but never thought of the plug not actually touching the machine. Thanks for the information.

CarrieAnne 07-30-2010 03:45 AM

Wow, I would have never thought that was bad either. Thanks!

mlaceruby 07-30-2010 04:17 AM

I do that too!
unplug but loop the cords thru the handle so they don't fall behind the table!
well I had an idea a few weeks ago and I guess this would help!
put velcro tape around the cord and stitch(just so the plug can't pull thru) and leave a tab
then glue a strip to the back of the table and attach them
the cord will never fall behind the table again

as you can tell fishing the cord out from under the table is a problem!

pieces 07-30-2010 04:23 AM

I thought thats why we use Power Surge protectors
so we don't have to unplug the sewing machines, computers, TV's? :shock:

donnajean 07-30-2010 04:26 AM

I learned the hard way to unplug from the outlet & not the machine when one day I could not turn on my laptop computer as the place where you plug the cord into the computer died. I figure the same would hold true for my electronic sewing machine. Why wear out the cord connection at the computer when you can just as easily unplug it at the wall outlet.

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I was reading the Sept. 2010 issue of Threads magazine and on page 77 there's a section on machine maintenence. In addition to cleaning, oiling (some machines), near the end of the page it also goes into power surge protectors, unplugging machine during thunderstoms etc.
I already knew these steps so far.
Then I read "...You may disconnect the cord at the outlet or at the machine. If you disconnect at the machine and leave the other end of the cord plugged into the outlet, do not leave the cord touching the machine."
Really? I do that all the time.
They didn't explain why, but I assume the electrical surge from a storm could still affect the machine software?
I just thought I'd pass this on to everyone.

Tcharlie 07-30-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I thought thats why we use Power Surge protectors:

Depending on the brand and amount of watts the surge protectors are made for will depend on how much protection you have. It will only cover the amount that it is made for any higher amount will still get to the machine. I unplug my machines, I have too much invested in them to have to replace them.

grann of 6 07-30-2010 04:39 AM

I unplug at the wall or shut the surge protector off. My boys are all computer geeks and warned me of this. All my equipment is connected to surge protectors. I spent too much money on it to lose it. I accidently left my food processor plugged in and didn't discover that it was dead till many weeks after the storm killed it. That's what I get for not using it often.

donnajean 07-30-2010 04:39 AM

Yes, I unplug all the electronics when there is a storm predicted. I unplug the sewing machine when not in use. It's not worth the risk.

s I

Originally Posted by Tcharlie

Originally Posted by pieces
I thought thats why we use Power Surge protectors:

Depending on the brand and amount of watts the surge protectors are made for will depend on how much protection you have. It will only cover the amount that it is made for any higher amount will still get to the machine. I unplug my machines, I have too much invested in them to have to replace them.

cloudswinger 07-30-2010 04:46 AM

I had a friend who had a lighting strike near his house. All his electronics were fried, even through the surge protectors.
They also say you shouldn't take a shower or be on a wired phone during an electrical storm.