Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I DON"T know it ALL? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-don%22t-know-all-t3483.html)

kathy 12-06-2007 12:24 PM

LOL I'm as surprised as ya'll are! I never thought much about every detail of a quilt but this one is for my father in law whom I love dearly. I used high quality fabric, thread, took my time with my piecing (still not perfect tho! :shock: ) I was going to use warm and natural batting but Hancock's was out so my other choice was Hobb's wool. It was 37.00$ for a queen size so I don't want to mess it up. It says 4" max between stitching lines, does that mean that I need to cross hatch or something on the 2-1/2" border? I stitched down both sides but now I'm concerned about it seperating lenghtwise, can that happen or am I safe?

Country Quilter 12-06-2007 12:27 PM

your safe...... the 2 1/2 inches, stitched down on both sides of it will be just fine on the border....

k_jupiter 12-06-2007 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
LOL I'm as surprised as ya'll are! I never thought much about every detail of a quilt but this one is for my father in law whom I love dearly. I used high quality fabric, thread, took my time with my piecing (still not perfect tho! :shock: ) I was going to use warm and natural batting but Hancock's was out so my other choice was Hobb's wool. It was 37.00$ for a queen size so I don't want to mess it up. It says 4" max between stitching lines, does that mean that I need to cross hatch or something on the 2-1/2" border? I stitched down both sides but now I'm concerned about it seperating lenghtwise, can that happen or am I safe?

I have the same thoughts about my first quilt. While I am using the W&N and it requires 12 inches.. does that mean in every direction?

My best guess is you will be OK, but I would hate for that border to bunch up or something after a couple washings.

tim in san jose

kathy 12-06-2007 12:42 PM

ok, we have 1 SAFE and 2 (me& TIM) IFFYS

I'd really like to have a bunch more "safes"

Country Quilter 12-06-2007 12:51 PM

I've done it many many times! If my borders are over 4 inches wide then I quilt them....if not I leave them.

Shadow Dancer 12-06-2007 12:52 PM

You are safe, the 4" between stitching lines means you don't have to have your quilting close together, 4 inch spaces that have no quilting won't separate. I wouldn't worry about your border, it is quilted down each side, it's not going to separate. :)

kathy 12-06-2007 01:07 PM

ok, that's 2 more safes! I feel much better. Thanks.

patricej 12-06-2007 02:55 PM

sure ... why not? you've gone to all that trouble ... made what i happen to know is one gorgeous quilt; and i know when it's done the quilting is gonna be awesome, too. may as well leave the border plain.

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck :twisted:

Cathe 12-06-2007 07:52 PM

I would quilt it. Why take the chance when you have so much work in it already???