Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't get it. How do they do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-get-how-do-they-do-t225582.html)

feline fanatic 07-16-2013 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT (Post 6179743)
I would like to caution people here. There have been numerous comments that are and have been taken to be rather rude. There are new quilters out there. People who's skills are not beyond doing a few 4 patches. The way some of these comments read to me, these new quilters could get very discouraged thinking that their quilts arent good enough to be called quilts. I honestly hope no one intended for that to be the message, but as I have read through here there are several that imply that.

A quilt is defined by websters to be: a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs.

Does not say anything about pattern used, size made, style done, or type of quilting (or tying) that was done to connect the layers.

Ladies, we are all quilters here, all of us do this because we love it. All of our quilts are real quilts. Some move fast, others move slow. We should be encouraging each other, not making disparaging comments about each other.

OK I may be misinterpreting your post but it seems you are being overly defensive here. I really don't think anyone is insulting anyone elses abilities or trying to destroy a new quilter's budding enthusiasm for the art. Posters to this thread are merely trying to offer explanations to the OP on how people can complete many quilts in a short period of time. It all boils down to complexity of the quilt in both construction and quilting.

Yes they are all quilts. By that example I can say that a Lamborghini and a Toyota Camry are both cars, yet a Laborghini requires approximately 150 manufacturing hours to build while a Toyota Camry takes about 20. They are vastly different things while still falling under the same broad category of "automobile". Really there is no comparison between the two even though they are both cars.

Same goes for quilts. We are not all capable of putting out the complexity of quilts that say Sharon Schambers does and I can pretty much guarantee that she is not churning out 50+ a year. I think the posts you took as insulting were trying to make this comparison, although some did not do it quite so eloquently and maybe had difficulty putting their thoughts into the written word. The "who'd want to see them anyway" post, yes it was harshly worded but I really think she was meaning in a juried show which IMHO is a whole different quilting animal with subspecies within that group, art quilt, bed quilt, wall hanging, machine quilted, hand quilted, pieced, applique, rookie, just look at any show how many categories there are to enter!

Comparing the time it takes to execute a juried show quilt of Sharon Schambers caliber to the time it takes to execute a 4 patch with a twist quilted with a panto is like comparing Lamborghinis and Camrys. Yes they are both cars, both functional, fun and even pretty, but vastly different in design, complexity, intent and execution (the time it takes to complete).

All quilts are by definition quilts but lets be realistic, just like there are massive differences in fruits, mammals, cars, just about everything, there are vast differences in quilts too. So there is absolutely no reason to feel insulted or defensive that you are churning out many quilts a year or only one because they are basically different species in the same genus and that is a good thing. So unknot those knickers. Life is good! :)

Pagzz 07-16-2013 07:04 AM

Disappointed

This thread has been disappointing. I was hoping that there would be tips on accomplishing more per day or organization.</SPAN></SPAN>

I think some of the posts are overly judgmental regardless of the poster’s intent and I sincerely think it hits both ways.</SPAN>
</SPAN>
If someone posts “they don’t do housework” it isn’t helpful to the subject.</SPAN>
</SPAN>
If someone posts “</SPAN></SPAN>some people are lifters and some people are leaners. Some do the work, and some lean against them, complaining, belittling their efforts, and putting them down” it isn’t helpful either.
</SPAN>
What I would have wished from this thread??</SPAN>

An explanation from someone on what they are making and how they do so many per year ie:</SPAN>
Assembly line?</SPAN>
Same pattern?</SPAN>
Time management?</SPAN>
Fabric – precut or storage systems ?
</SPAN>
I would have appreciated the opportunity to have a look into their world without commendation about my choices.
</SPAN>
I think Bonnie Hunter’s http://www.quiltville.com</SPAN> is an excellent example of a highly productive quilter and she has interesting articles on using and organizing scraps.</SPAN>

Pagzz 07-16-2013 08:53 AM

sorry meant condemnation not commendation

gale 07-16-2013 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6180255)
OK I may be misinterpreting your post but it seems you are being overly defensive here. I really don't think anyone is insulting anyone elses abilities or trying to destroy a new quilter's budding enthusiasm for the art. Posters to this thread are merely trying to offer explanations to the OP on how people can complete many quilts in a short period of time. It all boils down to complexity of the quilt in both construction and quilting.

Yes they are all quilts. By that example I can say that a Lamborghini and a Toyota Camry are both cars, yet a Laborghini requires approximately 150 manufacturing hours to build while a Toyota Camry takes about 20. They are vastly different things while still falling under the same broad category of "automobile". Really there is no comparison between the two even though they are both cars.

Same goes for quilts. We are not all capable of putting out the complexity of quilts that say Sharon Schambers does and I can pretty much guarantee that she is not churning out 50+ a year. I think the posts you took as insulting were trying to make this comparison, although some did not do it quite so eloquently and maybe had difficulty putting their thoughts into the written word. The "who'd want to see them anyway" post, yes it was harshly worded but I really think she was meaning in a juried show which IMHO is a whole different quilting animal with subspecies within that group, art quilt, bed quilt, wall hanging, machine quilted, hand quilted, pieced, applique, rookie, just look at any show how many categories there are to enter!

Comparing the time it takes to execute a juried show quilt of Sharon Schambers caliber to the time it takes to execute a 4 patch with a twist quilted with a panto is like comparing Lamborghinis and Camrys. Yes they are both cars, both functional, fun and even pretty, but vastly different in design, complexity, intent and execution (the time it takes to complete).

All quilts are by definition quilts but lets be realistic, just like there are massive differences in fruits, mammals, cars, just about everything, there are vast differences in quilts too. So there is absolutely no reason to feel insulted or defensive that you are churning out many quilts a year or only one because they are basically different species in the same genus and that is a good thing. So unknot those knickers. Life is good! :)

Maybe a little defensive but this:
I too can't understand how they can afford it. It is quite costly to make a decent quilt. If I didn't make quilt samples for my LQS, I wouldn't be able to afford much. Quilting is expensive

makes it sound like if they make that they may not be "decent"

and this

I agree with you - what is the rush - are they obsessive? But I have also seen some of them and they were nothing to brag on. It's one thing to throw some stuff together, quilt in the ditch and call it a quilt - and it's another thing to create a thing of beauty that your heart loves (and everyone else)

seems to imply that they're "nothing to brag on" and thrown together.

CarolynMT 07-16-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 6180395)
An explanation from someone on what they are making and how they do so many per year ie:
Assembly line?
Same pattern?
Time management?
Fabric – precut or storage systems ?

I would have appreciated the opportunity to have a look into their world without commendation about my choices.

Pagzz, I was hoping for the same thing. I know I can churn out quilts pretty fast, even complicated patterns. Here is my system:
I do many different patterns. I quilt only between getting home from work till about 7-730 at night, so that is about 1-3hrs depending on the day. In the evenings after I feed monsters/myself, I sit and visit in the chat here and gander at different patterns. If one strikes my fancy I may spend 2-3 nights reading and re-reading directions until I am sure I understand it all. I take a few notes on key things. I work a 9/80 schedule so I have every other friday off. That is the day I run errands and go grocery shopping. On saturday, I usually finish up projects, finish piecing, finish binding etc. On sundays I do laundry and long arming (long arm is in basement with laundry) I am still new to long arming so I stick mainly with pantos on my quilts and can knock those out in a couple hours, just long enough to finish all laundry. On sunday afternoon/early evening I set up work for the week. I cut all my blocks out, get it set up on the table in sewing order. During the week after work I piece all my blocks. I rarely use precuts, so usually have to cut everything. If no cutting is needed, I start piecing. I do 2 pieces on monday and press, 2 more on tuesday and press...etc. So if I had say a disappearing 9 patch, I would do the joining of the 3 squares into a strip on monday, sew the strips into 9 patches on tuesday, trim/cut on wednesday, first pair of all blocks on thurs, last pair on friday....then sat morning I will put the top together. Sometimes it goes quicker, sometimes slower. Usually order the quilt backs on monday so they are in on friday ready for quilting on sunday.

I get into a rhythm and it works for me. I try to stay organized and use my time wisely. Meaning I dont waste sewing time reading and studying patterns when I just sit in the evenings from 8-10pm anyhow. I utilize that time to study. I really want to get everyone in my family a quilt this year. I also want to grow my skills as a long armer because my goal is to enter and win in paducah ;) So for me, having that goal, I plan my quilts and designs accordingly, growing skills that will get me where I want to go. And as I stated before, I live alone....not alot of family or friends in my area, so have most of my time to myself. Although will admit the dust bunnies are starting to form herds and migrate....might be time to get the vacuum out :D

Feline.....yes my knickers were in a twist. I am a new quilter, and feel the sting of comments a little more sharply, add in that I am irish and having PMS this week and you get someone very defensive. I also worry about people who dont have the "sheer irish bullheadedness to tell others to go hang and do what I want" ( as my mom puts it) that they would be turned off by some of the comments. I just caution people to be a tad more careful of their words, cause they do hurt.

To anyone I may have insulted, my deepest apologies, it was not my intent to insult or call anyone out, more just to caution people not to be disparaging. I will endeavor to restrain my raging temper and hormones :p

bakermom 07-16-2013 03:24 PM

Regardless of the intent, i can see where a few posts could come off as insulting. but it remains that all quilts/quilters are not equal. My best may not begin to compare to your mediocre.
I can, and have made a lot of quilts in a short amount of time. It's not my favorite way to work but i can do it. I had a special reason for pushing myself. I prefer to pace myself.
I compare this to myself at work. I have been doing my job for a long time-I work fast. In the past I've gotten grief from co-workers that i make them look bad. No we are not doing piecework, i just work fast without even realizing it. Are they bad workers? no they just work different.
I have no desire to make 50+ quilts per year but totally understand those that do-whether it's just the way they work or they have a passion for donating to a good cause. it's not a reflection of the quality of anyone's work. at least it shouldn't be