Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't want my fabric fraying in wash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-want-my-fabric-fraying-wash-t118435.html)

sandisquiltedtouch 04-25-2011 12:10 PM

When you are talking about "washing" your fabric what do you mean? It doesn't need to go through a long wash cycle like a pair of work pants? If you are trying to preshrink your fabric (and I do not) you just have to put it in a very short very gentle cycle to wet it and spin it and dry it. Don't over dry it either. If it is falling apart on a gentle cycle you wouldn't want to use it anyway as it will fall apart. :D
This is just my thoughts and feelings about it. I don't even prewash my fabrics I like to have them have to old look after they are washed. Sandi

Granny Charley 04-25-2011 12:33 PM

I have been trying to get all my old fabric washed and folded neatly. I clip the corners and have very little fraying. However when you cut or break off those stray strings I save them for future fiber crafts. I saw some beautiful work the other day at a high school art show. Now I want to try it for sure. I have been saving threads from washing and also clipped threads at the sewing machine just for this

Quiltgranny 04-25-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
If you will cut a small triangle off each corner of the piece of fabric, it won't ravel or fray in the wash.

I see so many here saying this works, but it doesn't work for me when I do it. I wonder what the difference is? Is it HOW we wash our fabrics? Top loader vs front loader? Different cycles? Regular vs gentle or perm press?

I'll cut off a small corner with my pinking shears. I don't over load my machine. I use my top loader and perm press setting on cold for about 6-8 minutes and let it spin.

When I take my several pieces of fabric out of the washer, they look like a train wreck! They're all twisted together with a webbing of tangled threads that takes me the longest time to cut off. I know this can't be good for my fabric, as it's pulling on the weave, but in most cases, I DO prefer to prewash for a variety of reasons.

What am I doing differently that's causing my fabrics to tangle when so many others' fabrics here are coming out just fine, no tangled thread?

majormom 04-25-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I always get some fraying and thread boogers, which I HATE. Recently washed a set of Moda Civil War repro fabrics that had a lovely hand before washing. Not a speck on my color catcher, so it was a waste of time, and I spent an hour cutting the thread tangles iff before drying. I still have to iron them. Back to NOT prewashing for me!

Amen!!!

:lol:

barbt 04-25-2011 01:18 PM

before I wash my fabric I serge it on my serger with what ever color of thread I have in there. That way I am sure it won't fray.

glenda5253 04-25-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Trimming the ends with pinking shears usually works pretty well. I have a serger so I serge mine.

This is what I do and it works great.

me too

I tried this with alot of <1yd and FQs and was disappointed in the results - had to clip chunks of threads to get the fabric flattened out on some pieces. Very disappointed. :cry: I'm not sure what I'm going to try next. :roll: I hinted really strong for a serger from my kids at Christmas but it didn't happen.

bjnicholson 04-25-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
staystitch!!! i use a zigzag stitch to confuse the threads..

This is what I do too!

Boopey 04-25-2011 03:37 PM

[quote=EagarBeez]I don't want my fabric to fray in the wash.

I heard somewhere many years ago to trim off one corner of the fabric before laundering. I've done this for years and it really helps to control the fray.

~Shirley

smitty 04-25-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I always get some fraying and thread boogers, which I HATE. Recently washed a set of Moda Civil War repro fabrics that had a lovely hand before washing. Not a speck on my color catcher, so it was a waste of time, and I spent an hour cutting the thread tangles iff before drying. I still have to iron them. Back to NOT prewashing for me!

next time just cut a 1/2" triangle off each corner (4). it will not ravel because the thread can not "run"across the fabric.

penski 04-25-2011 11:14 PM

i either serg or sew my up the edge of mine before washing