Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I dropped my quilts off at the count fair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dropped-my-quilts-off-count-fair-t289867.html)

AngelaS 07-23-2017 06:46 PM

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

This is my fifth year of entering and judging is tomorrow. I'm always super excited and super nervous to see how my work will do. There were more quilts this year than in the past so I'm eager to see how tomorrow goes.

Anybody else a fair participant?

Sandra in Minnesota 07-23-2017 06:58 PM

I used to participate at my county fair. Usually would enter my roses.

QuiltnNan 07-23-2017 07:03 PM

i have never entered the fair... but i love to go look

Tartan 07-23-2017 08:18 PM

​I hope you win lots of ribbons!

sewbizgirl 07-23-2017 09:39 PM

I don't trust them to handle and protect my quilts well. I used to enter, decades ago, but not any more.

homefrontgirl 07-23-2017 10:38 PM

Our fair just wrapped up and I did enter, but in the preserving categories. I won 3 blue ribbons and 3 red ribbons on my jams and jellies! I don't think I have made a quilt yet that would be good enough for the fair. Maybe next year!

Good luck to you! Let us know!

Maggie_Sue 07-24-2017 04:23 AM

I usually enter and have won many ribbons!! I love going to the fair to watch the judging. I learn something every year. Our fair is the end of August and I will be entering some items again. Best of luck to you!!!

Sewnoma 07-24-2017 05:32 AM

I entered once about 4 years ago, just for fun. To my surprise I won a ribbon! That was very exciting for me. I keep intending to enter again, but I never see to have anything "good enough" finished in time. I'm going to have to make it a specific goal if I want to enter again. I go and look at the quilts every single year, though.

DH enters his photography every year, and usually takes home a couple of ribbons. :)

Boston1954 07-24-2017 05:36 AM

A few years back I entered a photograph of one of my cats sitting in the dog's water dish. It took second place. That felt really good.

feline fanatic 07-24-2017 05:58 AM

Several years ago I entered our local fair but not quilts. I had home canned goods (tomato pasta sauce, sweet hot pickle relish, salsa (both red and green) and blueberry jam) I also entered some Ukrainian Easter Eggs (Pysanky) and a wooden box I had painted a Bengal cat on and lined the inside with faux fur in a leopard print. I won a lot of ribbons that year. The box and the eggs took first but there were only a few entries in the easter decorations category. The box cracked me up as the judge was more impressed with me lining it with the fake fur than the painting, it was displayed so you could see the inside, not the decoratively painted outside. The canned goods I got ribbons on everything too. It was fun. At our fair you get a small cash prize in addition to the ribbons so I made enough that it covered my entry fees and our admission to the fair and all the bad for you but oh so yummy fair food.

I wouldn't enter my quilts because the building they are displayed in is not the best and I wouldn't trust them to not get dirty and possibly damaged. Also they don't display them very well. Most are folded up and hung on a rail so you can only see 1/4 of the quilt.