Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I finally did rotary cutting... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-finally-did-rotary-cutting-t79699.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 11-30-2010 09:07 AM

I'm getting a label made, but since I wanted black fabric I have to send in some. Figured it'd be the time to try the rotary cutter.

Watched YouTube videos. Ironed the heck out of the fabric. Tried to make sure the bottom edge was straight and the selvages matched. Couldn't find my acrylic ruler...ended up having to use my metal t-square. Cut into it...decided to make it a little bigger than what was asked for.

And I actually got a piece that's almost perfectly straight. If I line up one edge to a line on my mat the other side almost completely matches up with line. Almost. Once I move down the strip the edge just goes up to the line instead of covering it. So I guess that wasn't too bad for a first try...and with a t-square.

Where did that darn acrylic ruler go? I know I saw it this morning!

amandasgramma 11-30-2010 09:12 AM

LOL -- I can't guarantee it, but using a good acrylic ruler will help your cutting. Good deal....glad you gave it a go!!!! It really does get easier.......

ann clare 11-30-2010 11:29 AM

Well done. No stopping you now.

amma 11-30-2010 11:56 AM

Now you will have more confidence to really dig in and cut when you find your ruler :D:D:D

clem55 11-30-2010 12:07 PM

Believe me, I know how doing it that first timer is!! Sounds as if you had better luck than I did.

leonajo 12-01-2010 03:49 AM

I can not imagine how people ever cut straight with scissors!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the Rotary cutter or else might as well go read. I still just cut with 2 layers..anymore than that , it gets a little off.

Holice 12-01-2010 04:13 AM

Warning about using anything other than the acyrilic ruler.
The only time I ever cut myself (was just a little shaving of the top skin on my finger) was when I needed to quickly cut an additional strip. I couldn't find my regular 6"x24" ruler so I grabbed the metal 2" wide 48" rule from the hardware store. I was accustomed to holding my hands a certain way on the 6x24 and wasn't paying attention to the smaller space on the metal......you guessed it.....
Fortunately was not serious. So the warning is that when you use something that you are not accustomed to, take care how you hold it and place your hands.

Flying_V_Goddess 12-01-2010 04:15 AM

I found the ruler. It had somehow gotten between my bed and the wall.

I cut the piece again and it turned out even straighter than the last time. It looks to be pretty square to me. But I cut it an inch too short so I have to cut another piece for the label. Ah well. I can cut binding out of this piece.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-01-2010 08:46 AM

If a day went by that I wasn't looking for something it would be a day to celebrate lol

AliKat 12-01-2010 08:51 AM

Careful you don't cut it short on both ends.

Just joking. An old carpenters' joke but does work for quilting too. Hmmm.

ali