Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I finally got through to my husband (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-finally-got-through-my-husband-t211964.html)

jcrow 01-25-2013 10:57 AM

I finally got through to my husband

For a few years now my husband has been perplexed at the amount of money I spend on quilting and how I just 'give' my quilts away. He's been after me to sell them. I've told him that it is nearly impossible to get your money back from a quilt. I told him I didn't quilt to make money...it's my hobby. He still didn't get it.

Finally it dawned on me. I said " Why don't you sell all the fish you catch? You have spent so much money on rods and reels and gizmos and clothing and gas and a trailer and you have nothing to show for it." He nodded his head and said "Now I understand".

I wish I would have thought of that a few years ago. I finally got through to him!

Diannia 01-25-2013 10:59 AM

Good comparison!

Diannia

luvTooQuilt 01-25-2013 11:06 AM

ahahaahahahahaha.. Hubby said the same thing about me wanting a long arm. " you could sell the quilt to justify the long arm.. "

My response.. " you have a bass boat why don't you sell you and your boat as a fishing guide?

He could sell his boat and I could probably get TWO long arms from the proceeds.. Sheesh.. Sometimes they need s swift kick in the butt ..

MadQuilter 01-25-2013 11:23 AM

DH asked me MANY years ago "just how many sewing machines do you need in a lifetime?" I countered with "how many saws do you need in a lifetime?" Case closed. lol

nativetexan 01-25-2013 11:27 AM

yep, my hubby always asks me what i'm going to do with each quilt i complete.

Peckish 01-25-2013 11:33 AM

Pretty funny sometimes, the things you have to say to get them to understand. Years ago, when my kids were 1 and 7, the 7 year old came home from school with a science project he had made - a penny inside a blown-up balloon. The 1 year old was interested, so we let him hold it, shake it, and look at it for a minute, then I gave it back to the older child. Not a very appropriate toy for a 1 year old anyway. Well, baby started crying and carrying on, so Hubby took the balloon away from the 7 year old and gave it back to the baby. Now the 7 year old's eyes are welling and Hubby just tells him to hush. I looked at Hubby and said, "What are you doing?" Hubby said, "Well, he wanted it!" I said, "Then you need to go down the street to Pete's house and let him drive your new Jeep around, because he wants it!" He looked at me, then took the balloon and gave it back to the 7 year old. Bill Cosby was right - parents are not interested in justice, they want peace. Lol.

Chasing Hawk 01-25-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5812894)
yep, my hubby always asks me what i'm going to do with each quilt i complete.

Mine does too....it's usually..."can we keep this one?"

auntpiggylpn 01-25-2013 11:41 AM

Inhale deeply through your nose and hold it for a few seconds. Do you smell anything? How about the sweet smell of "Satisfaction"!!! Get him Jeanne!!

Grama Lehr 01-25-2013 11:44 AM

Bill Cosby was right - parents are not interested in justice, they want peace. Lol.

TOOOO FUNNY!! SO TRUE!!

pdcakm 01-25-2013 11:44 AM

my son asks why i don't sell mine. i explain that selling them would make it a job. i don't want the pressure of "having" to make a quilt. this is my hobby and i do it for fun and relaxation.