Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I finally stumbled onto a great fabric find! I think....LOL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-finally-stumbled-onto-great-fabric-find-i-think-lol-t185376.html)

Pattycakes 04-10-2012 08:13 AM

Do you have grandchildren or nieces that like Barbies. I took old clothes and made Barbie and Ken clothes for them out of it. My Grandaughter loved it. My sister took some of them to a flee market with her stuff and sold them for a dollar each. Every piece was purchased. I also had some fur that she make a cloak with and trimmed it with the fur. She got $5 for it. I am trying to make more because her flee market days are approching fast. Good luck

My time 04-10-2012 08:14 AM

At the Arizona quilt show held in Phoenix there were some fantastic crazy quilts there. They were some of my favorite items in the whole show. Crazy quilts are so much fun to make and the sky's the limit. I've used everything in mine. Some fabric needed stabilizing, but it worked. Speaking from experience avoid nylon or nylon blends. They melt when ironed, and it it really gunks up your iron.

patski 04-10-2012 08:51 AM

I used fake fur to make puppies and teddy bears using my accuquilt cutter!

02ba quilter 04-10-2012 08:57 AM

Uses for odd materials

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5125161)
My daughter and friend were talking about me making quilts, and the friend offered to give me a whole bunch of fabric. My daughter, who isn't a sewer at all and couldn't tell you what is quilting cottons, corduroy or fleece, said "sure". I picked it up yesterday and there are 3 boxes and 1 huge garbage bag of fabrics. Lots of yardage, a couple of bolts, and smaller pieces, and a wide variety of fabrics - crushed velvet to stretch terry, denim, dressy pants fabric, and about 10 yards of a beautiful navy/cream flowery print that I think has rayon in it. It will take me days to get it all sorted and then washed. What am I going to do with all that fabric that really isn't suitable for a quilt? Some of it still has tags and receipts dating back to 1994! I know rayon will shrink if washed/dried.....is it quiltable? I just can't toss it out.....well maybe the fake fur.....LOL. I can see lots of utility quilts and donation quilts in my future!

I'm so glad someone mentioned autistic quilts. They love different textures and feels. We make them in our club with as many kind of fabrics and textures as we can, using 8 inch squares and lap size. Find a local chapter and those kids will love them. One child loved a jean seam that I had attached and was constantly fingering it. You can add lace, rickrack and anything you can think of that is safe and textured.

Elaine433 04-10-2012 11:02 AM

If I knew I would not use it, I would sell it on craigslist or ebay. I would then use the money for fabric I would use. I say, pick what you know you will use and try to sell the rest.

margecam52 04-10-2012 03:07 PM

Lots of good ideas given here. I was just gifted bags and bags of 2-4" cut squares (not all is cotton, not all is new), triangles & some unfinished applique blocks. I have no clue what to do with the squares and triangles...I may use some...but may have to donate the rest to someone who uses them. I usually use strips for making my Irish chain quilts...so maybe I'll try a scrappy one. LOL... one thing for sure...it won't go to waste!

nstitches4u 04-10-2012 07:36 PM

Have fun sorting through all that fabric. If you have some fabric that you can't use I'm sure there are senior centers or nursing homes that could use it.

JoanneS 04-11-2012 11:22 PM

Do you sew clothing? I love rayon for comfy sundresses, pants and shirts for summer. After a few washings, they don't need ironing, especially if the lines are simple, and they're as cool as cotton in warm weather.

earthwalker 04-11-2012 11:59 PM

Usually if it's washable, doesn't bleed and sits still nicely when I'm working with it I will use it. Anything too stretchy or difficult gets passed on to someone who will use it. Have fun with your "treasure":).

stchenfool 04-18-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5125161)
My daughter and friend were talking about me making quilts, and the friend offered to give me a whole bunch of fabric. My daughter, who isn't a sewer at all and couldn't tell you what is quilting cottons, corduroy or fleece, said "sure". I picked it up yesterday and there are 3 boxes and 1 huge garbage bag of fabrics. Lots of yardage, a couple of bolts, and smaller pieces, and a wide variety of fabrics - crushed velvet to stretch terry, denim, dressy pants fabric, and about 10 yards of a beautiful navy/cream flowery print that I think has rayon in it. It will take me days to get it all sorted and then washed. What am I going to do with all that fabric that really isn't suitable for a quilt? Some of it still has tags and receipts dating back to 1994! I know rayon will shrink if washed/dried.....is it quiltable? I just can't toss it out.....well maybe the fake fur.....LOL. I can see lots of utility quilts and donation quilts in my future!

Crazy quilters would love this stuff! Awesome find