Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I found a fabric I like but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-found-fabric-i-like-but-t123754.html)

michelehuston 05-18-2011 04:15 AM

I definately agree, buy it now because you may never find it again. I learned the hard way. So now if I find something I luv, whether i have patten in mind or not, I buy it! ;)

matraina 05-18-2011 04:31 AM

I am starting a class Friday. I was picking out my fabric yesterday and an associate told me that, if I was going to do the binding out of one of the materials, it would be better to get it now because the roll would go quickly.

gramarraine 05-18-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I agree. If u really love this fabric, then u need to get it while u can. some fabric flys out the door faster than others.. but once it is gone many shops do not reorder that design.

Much of the time shops don't have the option of reordering fabric. If it is a popular piece it is often not available for reorder. Many times they print a certain number of bolts and when it is gone thats it. Often times when a shop does reorder it takes a long time to get it back in. Most of the new fabric that shops get in was ordered 6 months ago.

AnnT 05-18-2011 05:08 AM

If you really like it, buy it! If you don't use it right away, as in you change your mind about the quilt project you're working on, it'll keep until you get ready. I often buy fabric I've fallen in love with, get it home and decide to go in a different direction with what I have in mind. Then I rediscover my fabric and think "this would be great with...!" I don't know if I've ever had "fabric buyer's remorse" except when I didn't get a piece I really wanted adn then it was gone when I went back. :(

Just Me... 05-18-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I bought some fabric, and found other that I would care to buy. I am not exactly sure how I want to design the quilt. DH says I should wait until I am sure what I want to do and then get the fabric. I was wondering how long places carry fabric?? Until it runs out??

Duct tape DH mouth and run to the fabric store! As a former shop owner, nothing made me sadder than to tell a customer that the fabric they were looking for was no longer available.

jaciqltznok 05-18-2011 05:18 AM

go online and search for that fabric line and see how old it is and how readily available it is online...if you can find in several places online, then wait...you can start by googling just the makers name, or the fabric line name both should be on the selvage...
or you can start at quiltshops.com and see how many shops show it available.( I have found that these shops are more costly than other online shops though)

Lavada 05-18-2011 05:18 AM

had this happen if you can buy now

OmaForFour 05-18-2011 05:20 AM

I would buy it while it is available. If you decide later you don't need it, you can sell it here on this board. That should appease your husband to know that it won't be wasted moneywise.

Lucy90 05-18-2011 05:39 AM

Buy it while it is the store. Also I have went back to the LQS and the material was gone. I then go on line and look for it and 99% of the time I can find it, so that is another alternative.

hikingquilter 05-18-2011 06:07 AM

If I really like it I will buy at least 2 yds or more if I can think of a pattern right then that I may use it for. If I don't have complimentary fabrics in my stash, well gee, I guess I'll need to go shopping again! :)