Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I found more space! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-found-more-space-t66120.html)

loopywren 09-22-2010 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pam in WV
Hi SuziC, I was doing the same thing until my 15 year old grandson stopped me and said to put them on the computer. He showed me how to scan the picture and instructions and put them all on disk. He said that it would keep them in any order I wanted and I did'nt have to find a way to store the paper. When I want to find one, I simply put the disk in and the quilt pictures are there (no hunting really), kids are so smart. Also, I can give the magazines away to other quilters and they are all in one piece. Pam

Thats a brillliant idea, you have a clever grandson. I shall be doing this as I am very short of space

sueisallaboutquilts 09-22-2010 05:26 AM

I got rid of all my mags and haven't regretted it. I also found a ton of space!!
Aren't computer geniuses the best! And even better when they are family members !! :D

ShowMama 09-22-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Looking at my storage shelves the other night, i realized i had way too many quilting magazines taking up valuable fabric space so i got this idea to condense them into one spot. Some of you may already do this but i wanted to share my solution. I took them all out, want thru them one by one and tore out the quilt pics and directions to the ones that inspire me and put them in a pile. I also took out any articles of interest. I put each into a plastic page cover( bought at Walmart cheap) You can get the covers for a few dollars for a whole pkg. After sorting out the pages, i put them into a seperate loose-leaf binder. You cannot believe all the room it freed up. Now i have just what i'm interested in all in one place. Clear pics and the matching directions that i can pull out without searching thru books. It's so much nicer to finger thru the binder without all the ads. I hope this helps someone looking to declutter.

I've been using that method for years and it really helps me keep organized. I have several notebooks sorted by subject and/or method (applique, animals, pillows, etc) and can usually find what I'm looking for quickly. At other times, I'll just page through the notebooks for fun and quite often come across a pattern or picture I had forgotten about, but definitely want to use in a quilt. Oh, and I have another notebook too, for ideas on home decorating which includes pictures of furniture, curtains, floral arrangements, etc.

Janis 09-22-2010 06:08 AM

On the subject of page protectors, If you have a Dollar Tree store near you, you can get them there, 25 for $1.00. Cheaper than Walmart!!!

Lilaciris 09-22-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Looking at my storage shelves the other night, i realized i had way too many quilting magazines taking up valuable fabric space so i got this idea to condense them into one spot. Some of you may already do this but i wanted to share my solution. I took them all out, want thru them one by one and tore out the quilt pics and directions to the ones that inspire me and put them in a pile. I also took out any articles of interest. I put each into a plastic page cover( bought at Walmart cheap) You can get the covers for a few dollars for a whole pkg. After sorting out the pages, i put them into a seperate loose-leaf binder. You cannot believe all the room it freed up. Now i have just what i'm interested in all in one place. Clear pics and the matching directions that i can pull out without searching thru books. It's so much nicer to finger thru the binder without all the ads. I hope this helps someone looking to declutter.

I used to do that, too. I am also into beading and knitting and I found that my binders took up a lot of room on my shelves.

I had a 2 drawer file cabinet and decided to use that next to my sewing area and I spent a couple of days putting them into folders based on different categories. I have quilt blocks, techniques, wallhangings, full quilts, etc....

I did the same for my knitting and beading.

I have one drawer for my quilting and the other drawer is for my other crafts.

Now I use the top of the cabinet to place items that I use while I sew. I have my ironing board setup close by and when I am done with my iron, I can place it on top of the cabinet.

One of these days I'll take some pics and post them

Candace 09-22-2010 06:22 AM

Sorry, the idea of cutting up my magazines makes me cry:<

quiltluvr 09-22-2010 06:39 AM

In the beginning for me, I would save the mags for a year then go thru them. Had stacks and stacks. Eventually cut it down to 6 months so it wouldn't be such a huge job. Now I have so many put up in binders (the big 3" size) that I am very selective on what mags I get, one or two every once in a while now.

Even tho' I've spent much time putting them all together, sorting, labeling and such, what I really need to do is go thru them and keep only the patterns I really, really love.

Wishing I had time to start the "purge" but off for another very important activity.

brighmet 09-22-2010 07:02 AM

I have a ton of magazines also. About a month or so ago, I went thru them and did the same thing. I still have alot. Since being on this board though I have come to realize that there are so many websites where I can get free patterns or inspiration that I find I am less inclinced to buy any magazines. So I guess I can save this board has saved me a lot of space and money!!!!!!

Quiltin'Lady 09-22-2010 07:37 AM

I've been doing this for several years now. I started with whole magazines -- too much room. :-( Then I tore out what I wanted and put them into sleeves/binders -- still too much room! :cry:

Now I just tear out the pages I like, staple them together, and put them in magazine boxes: "Just Blocks," "Kids/Babies," "Tablewear," "Wall Quilts," "Big Quilts," "Techniques," etc, etc. :thumbup:

There are now at least two boxes for each category! Between the magazines I get and all the fabulous free patterns online, I'm set for life. If only I didn't have to do that "work" thing, I could get a lot of sewing done! :lol: