Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I get to teach quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-get-teach-quilting-t238695.html)

KarenR 01-12-2014 03:02 PM

I get to teach quilting!!!

I'm getting everything lined up to teach a quilting class to students in 8-12th grades. I'm so excited.
The students will be making quilts for the orphanage in Haiti that they adopted. These same students sent Christmas gifts to the children down there. The quilts will be hand delivered when the 10th and 12th graders go on their mission trip this summer. They will get to make two quilts: one for the orphanage and one that they can keep and use.
I wrote a donation request for some sewing machines and I'm waiting to hear back about them. I'm hoping to get 10 machines as I may have 20-40 students taking the class. This will be a good activity for learning to share. Otherwise I only have 4 sewing machines for them to use. Ages of the machines 1964 is the oldest, 2 are the early 70's models, and one is late 70's. I'm glad that they made sewing machines to last.

One of the board members gave a wonderful donation to the class.
The quilts will be tied instead of machine quilted as I do not own a long arm and it costs money to have them machine quilted.

I do have a couple of questions:
Where is the most reasonable place to buy quilting thread and also batting?
I'm thinking Joann's with a coupon but maybe there is something out there that is a better deal.

I'm trying to keep the cost down to almost free, that way anyone can join in the fun.

The first day: Quilting SAFETY!!! , equipment, and fabric and pattern selection then cutting.
Day 2 until everyone is done: cutting, sewing, burping (that is what the video called it) and tying.

Please keep my in your thoughts and prayers as I undertake this endeavor. The only compensation will be to see the finished projects as I'm donating 1 1/2 months of my time after school for this project. I can't wait to see all the smiles on their faces and then it will be a long wait until June to see the orphans smiles.

Patterns I'm thinking of: Take 5, Turning 20, D9P, and a few others from Anka's Treasures (by Heather Peterson)
. (No affiliation to her the girls just loved her styles.)

Thanks for reading.

quilts4charity 01-12-2014 03:10 PM

Sounds like an awesome time will be had, good luck.

Prism99 01-12-2014 03:25 PM

The video probably said "birthing", not "burping"! :D I think a rail fence pattern is really good for beginners. Don't think I'd use D9P because of the need to match so many seams.

KarenR 01-12-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6509173)
The video probably said "birthing", not "burping"! :D I think a rail fence pattern is really good for beginners. Don't think I'd use D9P because of the need to match so many seams.

I will have to go watch the video again. I did watch it late at night- so I maybe misheard them.
Thanks for the idea of the fence rail - never thought of that one.

MaryMo 01-12-2014 03:36 PM

Congratulations to you! Many thoughts for a great time for you and the students. Sometimes members of a nearby quilt guild would enjoy helping in this endeavor ... offering scraps, batting, assistance and such.

I've seen some great 9 patch quilts that might be great for this group. Keeping it simple, imho.

KarenR 01-12-2014 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 6509193)
Congratulations to you! Many thoughts for a great time for you and the students. Sometimes members of a nearby quilt guild would enjoy helping in this endeavor ... offering scraps, batting, assistance and such.

I've seen some great 9 patch quilts that might be great for this group. Keeping it simple, imho.

When you do a 9 patch - they add 2 1/2 " sashing between the 9 patch. Correct?
I will check with the quilting groups. Thanks

Daylesewblessed 01-12-2014 04:37 PM

Karen,

You are wonderful to undertake teaching such a big class!

Since you live in Minnesota, I would suggest that you check out okleequilting.com, since the shipping wouldn't be so far. The have a roll of "econo" batting that is 60" wide that is commonly used for Lutheran World Relief quilts by church groups. Compare that price to 50% off at Joanns. If you are only making 2 quilts for the whole class, then Joann's is probably the better option.

Get a 15% off teacher discount card at Joann's and you will get that additional discount when batting is on sale. It cannot be combined with other coupons, but it good on sale items. The newest Joann's flyer gives teachers a 20 or 25% discount next weekend and batting by the yard is on sale. If you are a guest teacher in the school, you may need to purchase under the credentials of another teacher in your school.

As for pattern, the simplest one that I know for beginners is to use 6" squares (convenient for common rulers) and make 4 patches with 1/2" seams (gives more fudge room for beginners). Alternate light and dark. If using the 60" batting make it 6 blocks across and 8 blocks down for a 60 x 80 quilt. If you use 4 patch blocks instead of strips, it seems to be easier to match the corners (if that matters).

Good luck with the project! There are lots of quilting concepts to be taught, but the most valuable will be the idea of making and giving to someone else.

Gannyrosie 01-12-2014 04:44 PM

There is a new site, where you can raise money for your organization selling t=shirts. I believe after the amount that you raise ( for notions, cloth, etc.) then the t-shirts are sent and you get your check. I don't know what it's called, just saw advertisement on tv. But if this is for a school, they can get the non participating class members to purchase t-shirts to help defray the cost. Since Haiti is hot, you may want to think of a thin lining. What about fleece. It's going to be on sale for the next couple of months?

judy363905 01-12-2014 04:54 PM

Excited as you are this will be a rewarding for the sewers and a joy for the ones receiving this labor of love..:)

Judy in Phx, AZ

BellaBoo 01-12-2014 05:29 PM

I admire you! Teaching children to sew is not my favorite thing. LOL One place to find donations is from local guilds. I know in our guild there are many that would rather give money and supplies when asked then time.