Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I got to look at WalMart's big book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-got-look-walmarts-big-book-t53664.html)

BellaBoo 07-09-2010 04:27 PM

I went to a nearby small town's Walmart that does have the fabric dept just as it was years ago. The store is not crowded and the fabric dept was empty but for me and the clerk. I asked if she knew if the new fusible batting from Fairfield would be sold there. She said the woman that does the ordering will have to look in the big book and see. I asked if she was there. The clerk said no but she said wait a minute. She left and came back with a big binder. It listed every item that could be ordered for the fabric section! Every fabric! The clerk had to leave for a few minutes and I had the book all to myself! Every item June Taylor makes was listed, page after page of sewing and quilting notions, rulers, mats,books, patterns, thread, fat quarters, jelly rolls, charm packs, pre cut fabric, and quilting software. The clerk came back and I asked how does the woman who orders know what to order, she said whatever she thinks will sell and how much space she wants to take up selling it. She said she wouldn't order any more patterns because she wanted the space the pattern drawers was taking up for something else.
She said the woman was good about ordering items someone requested so to come back and talk to her if I wanted the batting. She said any item in the book can be ordered for any store as far as she knows. It's up to the dist. manager of the stores to allow space for it. So many sewing items are available to be ordered even if there is no space for bolts of fabric anymore. If we all start requesting quilting notions, ruler and such to be ordered and keep on bugging the store maybe the artificial flower shelves will be displaying a quilting notion wall. :-D :-D :-D :-D

amma 07-09-2010 04:29 PM

WOW!!! Thank you for letting us know this :D:D:D

BellaBoo 07-09-2010 04:32 PM

Who buys all those fake flowers anyway?

cjomomma 07-09-2010 04:34 PM

Good info to have. Thank you

raptureready 07-09-2010 04:37 PM

I'd just be happy knowing who DOESN'T order the 10W30 Penzoil in the 5 qrt bottles at our store.
None of ours have fabric anymore accept for the pre-cut stuff that I won't buy on principle.
Southern people are so helpful.

littlehud 07-09-2010 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I would love to see that book.

dkabasketlady 07-09-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo

My DM buys alot of them to put on all the various grave markers where all our extended family are buried.

janRN 07-09-2010 06:04 PM

I asked at our Walmart if they were going to be carrying any of the precut fabrics and was informed they're not. They don't have jellyrolls or FQs-no fabric. I was going to buy a crib-size batting for bags or table runners until I looked at the price. A week ago the crib-size was $6.00; today it was $9.00!! I asked if this was a mistake and the clerk just laughed-nope, that's the correct price.

BellaBoo 07-09-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

My DM buys alot of them to put on all the various grave markers where all our extended family are buried.

That's not allowed in the cemetary here. :cry: :cry: :cry:

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-09-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

Me Too.... Big Family