Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I got a new machine yesterday!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-got-new-machine-yesterday-t166244.html)

alwayslearning 11-05-2011 08:43 AM

Congratulations! What an opportunity!

jeanharville 11-05-2011 08:49 AM

so happy for you. You'll have to post a pic when you get it.

Crafty1 11-05-2011 08:56 AM

You're going to love the machine! I have the Espire and sew love mine! Congrats :)

caquiltingdeb 11-05-2011 09:04 AM

Congratulations on your new machine.

Deb

sewloved 11-05-2011 10:15 AM

I looked at Elna, Janome, Brother, BabyLock and Bernita. I didn't not look at Plaff, Viking or Singer.

Bernitas are awesome. And REALLY expensive. I couldn't afford their machines.

Janome was the machine I walked in, expecting to buy. Honestly, it might have been a good machine. The sales man fumbled a lot, wasn't able to find a FMQ foot, etc. I didn't really get to play with it much. And for the amount of money, I wanted to get a really good feel.

Elna Excellence was my second runner up. It has an 11 inch throat space. Ran beautifully.

BL was next and that is when I realized this wasn't going to be an easy choice.

The Brother Laura Ashley is pretty much the BabyLock Symphony. I looked at the Brother last and got into a conversation with the sales lady, who was also a shop owner at a LQS I've been to before. After talking to her, I admit she heavily steered me towards the BL/Brother machine and away from the Elna. I was struggling because the BL was REALLY bouncy compared to the Elna. But the surfaces they were sitting on were very different. She promised me that when I got it home, off a flimsy card table, that it wouldn't bounce. I told her they needed better tables next year. :wink:

I went back and gave the Elna salesman a chance to convince me the Elna was better than the BL and he just couldn't.

I loved the Elna's 11 inch space and I loved the storage for the feet.

However, the BL's touch screen feeds my computer geek side. I love the 460 stitches and 3 alphas. I think the pictograms are larger. I love a lot of the functions of the touch screen.

When I went back to the Elna and attempted to use it alone the second time, I sitll had very little clue what I was doing.

When I went back to the BL the second time, it was like I had already sat through a class. I could start sewing with no assistance.

Oh and I picked the BL over the Brother because of support store location and the package deal. Prices were the same.

sewloved 11-05-2011 10:17 AM

Oh and the machine levels, I have no clue on.

The brochure calls the BL an advance sewing and quilting machine. It doesn't do embroidery. I'm guessing it is on the higher end side of sewing machines that don't do embroidery.

Tartan 11-05-2011 10:55 AM

Oh, sew exciting!

Painiacs 11-05-2011 11:03 AM

Congratulations on your new baby!!!

LLWinston44 11-05-2011 11:09 AM

Congrats, I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE my Babylock. :o)

cowgirlquilter 11-05-2011 11:11 AM

Cant wait to see the pretties you make with your new machine!