Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I had a great idea...now I need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-had-great-idea-now-i-need-help-t282359.html)

cowpie2 09-21-2016 09:16 AM

I had a great idea...now I need help

My brother-in-law is facing some aggressive cancer treatment. I'll be making him a lap quilt to use during treatment to keep him warm and provide comfort. My great idea is to have his grandkids each help me make a quilt block of their choosing and then assemble. Since the kids are all little I though I would add their names in their own hand writing to the quilt in some white space by each of their blocks. I'll have them write their name on a piece of paper and use that as a template to transfer to fabric.

What have you had the best luck with to add words to a quilt that holds up best to washing?

yngldy 09-21-2016 09:46 AM

Sorry to hear that he is sick and has to go through this. He, and your family, will be in my prayers.
As for the quilt, the kids handprint would be cute, kind of like hugs. You could use the paper to stitch the names either with machine or transfer to stitch by hand. Each child could draw a picture of something fun they did with Grandpa, or if they have a special picture, that could be transferred to photo paper. I am sure the quilt will be greatly appreciated, no matter what you do.

Tartan 09-21-2016 09:50 AM

I also think tracing around their hands with a permanent marker on a light background fabric would be easier.

cjsews 09-21-2016 10:14 AM

The last quilt I did with photo transfer I used a t-shirt printing co. They can transfer and size if needed whatever you have into the fabric that you give them. This will hold up better than most photo transfer sheets you buy. I hope the quilt will bring him much comfort an help him with his battle

ragamuffin 09-21-2016 06:33 PM

You could also embroider their name, and around their hand if you like. Just a suggestion.

quiltingshorttimer 09-21-2016 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7658036)
I also think tracing around their hands with a permanent marker on a light background fabric would be easier.

this is what I would do too--having them make the blocks, if they are not already sewing, will be a very long process.

DOTTYMO 09-21-2016 10:25 PM

What a beautiful and thoughtful idea.

Karamarie 09-22-2016 03:41 AM

I gave a large sized lap quilt to my brother-in-law a year and a half ago after his diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer. He just loves it and uses it all the time. His cancer has now progressed to his brain so it isn't good. I have made a quilt for each of his kids (3) and will give those to them at his funeral as a comfort quilt for them. Your idea sounds great and will be appreciated I'm sure. I now always have a spare or two to gift when needed.

AZ Jane 09-22-2016 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fabric paint, a smaller version of this? It's what we are making this year at our family reunion!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558644[/ATTACH]

kacie 09-22-2016 08:13 AM

This is a great idea for so many occasions and situations. Thank you for showing it!

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 7658655)
Fabric paint, a smaller version of this? It's what we are making this year at our family reunion!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558644[/ATTACH]