Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I had such a fun day yesterday! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-had-such-fun-day-yesterday-t292923.html)

Jingle 11-29-2017 06:34 PM

I only have 2 granddaughters neither has any desire to ever learn to sew or quilting. 5 Grandsons would never consider it. My oldest Daughter sews and quilts, younger one would never consider it.

Always glad to have new quilters. Enjoy.

Sew Freak 11-30-2017 03:34 AM

Oh wow, you and your niece are going to have so much fun!!!! You both are very lucky to have each other to share your sewing with!!!
Ditto what RedGarnet222 says!!!

quilterpurpledog 11-30-2017 03:50 AM

Be thankful for this special opportunity of sharing your love and skills with her. I hope her interest will continue and you can share this hobby. However, most important is a growing relationship with her on every level. I did teach a grandson to sew and he made a quilt for St. Jude's. He continues to sew when there is a need. Who knows about a future quilter; at least he can take care of his clothing and household items. Isn't that progress?

Blueridgebeverly 11-30-2017 04:05 AM

Can’t get any better than that, can it? You get to share something you love, and you and your niece will get to spend quality time together! Life is good.

jmoore 11-30-2017 04:10 AM

Love it...especially that she’s interested at 16. Sometimes you lose them to other interests such as boys. It’s sad that most schools do not offer Home Economics anymore.

Waal 11-30-2017 06:40 AM

We celebrate Christmas at Thanksgiving since our children can come then easier than at Christmas. My 20 year old granddaughter asked for a sewing machine for Christmas, so I did get her one. She has made a quilt and other things by herself, and decided she kind of liked sewing. She learned to sew quickly. I am thrilled she wants to make quilts!

trolleystation 11-30-2017 06:51 AM

Our granddaughter, who is interested, lives in Texas.

red-warrior 11-30-2017 07:22 AM

How wonderful! Keep us posted on progress!

Suz 11-30-2017 08:06 AM

About two months ago, I sat next to a 12 yo who had been a 4H member of a quilting group of a friend. I asked her if she was still quilting and she said she was but had to hand stitch owing to no machine. We were sewing for charity and she caught on quickly to the suggestions I made for this project. Sweet child. After some inquiries, I decided to purchase an "all but new" machine for her. Got a real deal on a floor demonstrator.

Received the sweetest thank you. Kids are great.

Ellen 1 11-30-2017 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine (Post 7952424)
..........I never thought I would have a mini-quilter in training of my very own, lol. In fact, I'm so excited, I went ahead and ordered a basic sewing machine to give her for Christmas!

I love that you are giving her a sewing machine for Christmas. My step-daughter wanted to make a quilt for her mother. I purchased a beginner sewing machine (so I could use mine at the same time was the excuse I used). I gave her a kit that I had purchased and had not been motivated to start. She made the quilt and quilted it on my longarm. She did a very good job on both the piecing and the quilting. The sewing machine has been living in storage since her graduation from night school (about 10 years ago and she has been living in Thailand the past 4++ years). Oh yes, I forgot, she never did give the quilt to her mother....she kept it for herself.....hahahaha