Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I hate binding!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-hate-binding-t17817.html)

Connie1948 03-19-2009 04:41 AM

I enjoy putting on the binding. I do the back by hand while watching mindless TV, waiting in Dr office, while hubby is driving etc. You can get a lot done while just "sitting".
Connie

reneebobby 03-19-2009 04:45 AM

It would be great if I knew how it do it. :lol: I think when I get this quilt quilted I'll go to the quilt store and see if they can teach me. :oops:

Jamie 03-19-2009 04:52 AM

I use to find the binding very frustriating myself...then I figured there is no wrong way to bind a quilt..as long as it is binded there is no correct way to do it...so just play with different ways, till you find the one that your comfortable doing....

Bevsie 03-19-2009 05:56 AM

Maggie,

Does your sister quilt? I work at the quilt shop in Chisholm, maybe I have cut her fabric for her!
How about your Mom, does she go to Coles Country Treasures in Princeton? (think that's the name of it) I remember when my son moved there we drove down main street and I saw there was a quilt store and chewed him out cause he hadn't told me!
Have a great day in this small world....how true!!

Bev

maggiebooboo 03-19-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bevsie
Maggie,

Does your sister quilt? I work at the quilt shop in Chisholm, maybe I have cut her fabric for her!
How about your Mom, does she go to Coles Country Treasures in Princeton? (think that's the name of it) I remember when my son moved there we drove down main street and I saw there was a quilt store and chewed him out cause he hadn't told me!
Have a great day in this small world....how true!!

Bev

No, my sister doesn't quilt. My mom may have been there though, because they have a cabin near Calumet.

The fabric for the quilt I am binding all came from Coles in Princeton. I love going in there. They have so many beautiful quilts on display. They just put up a new one and I am trying to decide if I can afford the kit. (I'm laid off right now.)

BellaBoo 03-19-2009 07:07 AM

A tip I learned that made binding part so much better is to use a zig zag stitch around the edge of the quilt before sewing on binding. It really helps by keeping the quilt raw edges flat making sewing the binding on easier.

Rose Hall 03-19-2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
I love doing bindings...... maybe I should have everyone send their quilts to me to bind then I could be doing only what i love to do! lol :)

I agree--I love the binding part! it means the quilt is DONE and I can move on to something else! To have someone else do it can be expensive. I sew my bindings on with the machine, don't hand stitch a lick if I don' t have too!

Rose Hall

Kara 03-19-2009 08:44 AM

Wish I could come help. I love doing binding (I love all parts of quilting, but anyway). It's the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you've only done it a few times, I understand your frustration. It's definitely a practice thing.

Drink your beer, eat some chocolate, take a deep breath...

Good Luck,
Kara

mkanderson 03-19-2009 12:45 PM

I am going to try this tomorrow as I have a baby quilt ready to bind and have taken it off twice because I “slipped” off the back side twice while trying to machine bind it!!

I was at the LQS today and she was telling me that to get a good machine binding was to sew it to the front as most people do when they hem it on the back by hand. Then turn it over to the back and machine a decorative stitch (zig zag or something fancy) and then it will catch on the front and the back too.

Has anyone tried this way?

Connie1948 03-19-2009 03:46 PM

I just tried a small one by machine stiching to the back and then machine stitching on the front with a buttonhole stitch mirror image. There is a UTube video showing this.