Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I hate my quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-hate-my-quilt-top-t305202.html)

lindaschipper 06-13-2019 04:33 AM

I hate my quilt top

Has anyone else ever worked hard to make a quilt top and hated it when was completed? This is a first for me! The pattern was a tulip where you were suppose to take 4 strips of different colors from a jelly roll to make the bud. Instead I made it with 4 strips of the same material, but there are 32 different tulips. The background fabric is Kona snow. To me it's just washed out. Ready to either ball it up and toss or donate it to Salvation Army. Not wanting to purchase 6 yards of fabric for backing and binding to quilt it. Maybe I should have followed the pattern instead of going out on my own. Have you done anything like this??

SusieQOH 06-13-2019 04:42 AM

Linda, I have one that I hate. I got it last year as a kit (free with a Bluprint membership), I even big stitched the whole thing but I absolutely hate it.
Among the reasons: the batting I used is way too heavy, I goofed up the pattern, the only thing I like is the quilting.
It's still in a heap somewhere.
I completely feel your pain :) I may just donate mine and then I can forget about it!!!

mic-pa 06-13-2019 04:50 AM

Lets see pictures Gals?? and yes someone will like or love it so donate to a needy cause

Sewgood 06-13-2019 04:54 AM

Sounds like it will be beautiful when it's quilted....all that lovely blank quilting space.

nativetexan 06-13-2019 05:18 AM

well, if anything else you can always use it as a back for another quilt. two in one! that' what I've been doing lately.

IrishgalfromNJ 06-13-2019 05:26 AM

I would definitely find another use for it like a picnic quilt or shower curtain. Or m
aybe cut it down. Make several table runners to give away or wall hangings. It might look better on a smaller scale.

Onebyone 06-13-2019 05:32 AM

I made a quilt top that ended up hideous. I cut it up in wide strips to make another quilt. Still hideous so I balled it up and chunked it in the trash. Sometimes quilt failure is just quilt failure.

bearisgray 06-13-2019 05:41 AM

Sometimes the pattern is right.

Sometimes it is worth the effort to make a sample block before continuing.

Sometimes an idea ends up being an idea - that did not work as well as one hoped.

So you spent money on making the top - and really really dislike it.
Does it make any sense - at all - to spend more money on batting and backing for it?

Ever go out to a restaurant and get a meal that you did not like very much? Did you order the same thing again?

Blueridgebeverly 06-13-2019 07:45 AM

I posted a free-wheeling pink and orange quilt last year that I hate. I pulled anything I thought would go with orange and pink from my stash. I liked the blocks I used in it. I remember the bento block was one of them. I liked the combo of orange and pink (oddly). But I hate the way it looks all put together. Also I tried for the first time the point to point quilting method and it just turned out awful. Ugh.

Jordan 06-13-2019 07:50 AM

Maybe if you just fold it up and put it away for a short time and pull it out later and it may look very pretty to you.