Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-been-told-stitch-ditch-cop-out-what-about-sending-your-top-out-t219223.html)

kidhauler1948 04-15-2013 03:24 PM

I love hand quilting I am not good at it but keep trying anyway. These are my quilts and I have made them and quilted them. I only quilt in straight lines and do my best when the quilt police give me a ticket I will tear it up and go start another quilt! If you like the machine quilting and can afford it go for it.

irishrose 04-15-2013 03:24 PM

I have a lot of admiration for anyone who can SITD. Though the quilt hanging at my shoulder is SITD, it was not easy. Your quilt - your way. Never let anyone make you feel bad.

I hope here on the QB when a quilter states her/his preference that others aren't offended if they prefer another look, whether concerning block size/type or method of quilting.

nygal 04-15-2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by twoxover (Post 6003716)
I don't think stitch in the ditch is a cop out, nor is sending out to long arm-er. everyone has different tastes and expections for themselves. it's all good in my opinion.

I agree with you.

mom-6 04-15-2013 03:28 PM

So what. Are scribbles a cop out too?

Nammie to 7 04-15-2013 03:33 PM

Everyone should quilt their quilts the way it pleases them - not someone else. It used to be that people would say it wasn't really quilting if people used a sewing machine as "real" quilts were hand pieced and hand quilted. You should have asked her if she was afraid her "heirloom" quilt would fall apart if it was used.

suern3 04-15-2013 03:34 PM

Move quickly away from this person or if you can't, never bring up the subject of quilting again with her!

AlienQuilter 04-15-2013 03:37 PM

I don't think I could have been polite to that. We are artists and we do what we feel is right. Sometimes it calls for a longarm, some times it calls for hand quilting, sometimes a meander/stippling, sometimes SID. But, it's our call.

I like to follow my Aunts advice. If you can't say something nice about someone or in this case, their quilts, then don't say anything at all. That person was totally rude and don't feel like you have to be polite back.

Don't let the ignorant people get to you.

earthwalker 04-15-2013 03:45 PM

Empty vessels make the most noise:). Quilt however you wish....or better still how the quilt wishes to be quilted:). S

jcrow 04-15-2013 03:58 PM

I send my quilts that are lap size or larger out to my LAer. I was just charged $60 for a lap quilt. I've never been charged $300 from a LAer, even for a king size quilt. I do stitch in the ditch for table runners and wall hangings and love the look. That is all the quilting I know.

Teddybear Lady 04-15-2013 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6003735)
Some people have nothing nice to say about anything. Whoever said that to you is one of 'THOSE' people - you know, the kind who think their sweat doesn't stink.

Ignore comments like that...they are just plain mean.

Just ignore people like this. I had a lady at church tell me one time..." I could probably sew something like that if I didn't have anything else to do but sit around." Yeah it frosted me for a little while but then I decided to just ignore it. Some people don't know how to keep their negative self in check. They "shoot off their mouth" before they "engage their brains". LOL Keep doing what you love.