Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a couple of questions about needle turn applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-couple-questions-about-needle-turn-applique-t248447.html)

nanna-up-north 06-14-2014 10:15 AM

I have a couple of questions about needle turn applique

Question #1- I'm still having trouble with stitching down inside turns. I stitch up to the point where the direction changes, snip to that point and then take a couple of stitches right in that point. But the 2 little stitches show up and I'm not sure those stitches will keep it from fraying right there.

Question #2- I have some skinny points, like at the end of the leaf or tail on the giraffe I'm doing. How do you get that point to fold in neatly without a bump or bulge?

Okay, I'm struggling to have my applique look super smooth at these two points, the in-ies and the out-ies. I do take tiny stitches, match the thread so it doesn't show, etc. And I'm getting better, really I am. But these 2 spots need some work. Can anyone give me suggestions about how you get yours so perfect looking?

woody 06-14-2014 02:52 PM

I use the freezer paper method of applique so it's a bit different to tradition needle turn, but I find the smallest drop of elmers glue in those inside turns really helps ( I use a pin to apply it)

Maybe have a look at some you tube videos, there are lots out there, hopefully you can find a method that works for you.

I love your avatar, is it an affairs of the heart? I am working on one at the moment.

nanna-up-north 06-14-2014 03:26 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, Woody. I've done a lot of freezer paper applique and am trying my hand at needle turn. I'll have to check out the u-tube videos. That might help a lot.

My avatar is the applique challenge from block central about 8 years ago. I used the freezer paper method for it and hand quilted it. I've seen the affairs of the heart. That's a lovely quilt as well. I'll keep my eye out for your finished post. I'm sure it is fantastic.

bjchad 06-14-2014 03:31 PM

The Missouri star quilt company has a great series of four videos on needle turn appliqué. They are available on you tube.

mike'sgirl 06-14-2014 04:25 PM

The ladies from Piece O Cake have a wonderful tutorial on YouTube. She covers these very problems.

Nammie to 7 06-14-2014 07:11 PM

I bought a book on applique and am so impressed with it. It's called Simply Successful Applique by Jeanne Sullivan. It's 125 pages of detailed instructions and pictures. I'm a wanna be appliquer and find this book answers a lot of my questions and give many great tips. I like to have a book as I go back to it again and again. I think it takes a lot of practice and one picks up tips and tricks everywhere. Sometimes what works for one person doesn't work for the next. One person told me on the inside curves to put a little dab of glue on your needle when you sweep the edge under then use several small stitches to secure the area. I would imagine that no one else sees your stitches but you do because you are looking very close!

Evie 06-14-2014 10:21 PM

Oh, boy. I just finished appliqueing a Hawaiian pillow top and sure could have used the lessons from Piece O Cake! So, my points aren't perfect but I'm not doing it over! :D mike'sgirl, thanks for directing me to the great videos. I'll use her lessons on my next project.

patchy-at-best 06-15-2014 02:01 AM

Hi Nana Up North!! Sounds like you're doing true needleturn, well done!!! Unfortunately there's no substitute for practice, but you'll get better and better with every stitch. Please don't give up, true needleturn once mastered stands heads above the alternatives! AND, once mastered is MUCH easier than other methods, and not all the fussy paraphernalia!!

Your questions....firstly, to make an INSTANT improvement in your stitch quality, especially in tight inner corners and curves, invest in a few reels of silk thread. Don't worry about colour matching, dark, light and neutral is all you need. Your method is correct, but even fine cotton or poly thread will never sink in and disappear like silk.
Secondly, you asked about fine points. This gets tricky as you need to trim back your seam allowance a lot more as there will be fabric from both edges competing for room in there! Slow and steady does it, being finicky to get what's folded under to lay nice and smooth with every stitch. I'm a very experienced appliquer and still struggle with these at times. Is it possible to make up a practice one using the same fabric, just trace off the tail etc a few times. That will help.
Lastly, you're stressing over things not looking smooth. This is probably because your turn under allowance is still a little wide, and with practice you'll gain the confidence to work with a thinner allowance. Also beware of fabrics that are a close smooth weave, like batik - they don't like to lay flat.
Apart from the silk thread the only other item I would suggest for your applique kit is a Clover Fabric Folding Pen. Magic stuff! If you trace around your stitching line before beginning to stitch, you'll find when you sweep the fabric under with your needle, it will lie nicely very easily.
Message me if you need more help, or email me at [email protected].
Cheers, Pami

nanna-up-north 06-15-2014 07:25 AM

Well, I just watched a bunch of those piece o cake videos.... WoW!! Very helpful. I'm going to get this... really!

And, Pami, I sent you a PM. I'm still curious about that Clover fabric folding pen you're talking about.

Kitsie 06-15-2014 07:29 AM

After I stitch those areas, I put a tiny drop of Fray-Check on them. (Elmer's would wash out) and use a permanent marker pen if I need to "hide" the stitches.