Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a dumb question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-dumb-question-t36469.html)

pam1966 02-09-2010 03:18 PM

Yes, I know...there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. So how about "I feel dumb for asking this?" :lol:

I'm in the process of quilting a quilt that has four borders. Each one is an inch wider than the previous one; they go from 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 4 1/2" and then 5 1/2". The batting I'm using says I can quilt up to six inches apart.

So my question is, I still need to do some quilting in these borders, right? Even after doing SITD. Because even though the quilting in one direction is less than 6", lengthwise it won't be.

I'm trying to do this as quickly as possible because it's for my father's birthday. My mother's birthday is less than two weeks later and I'm making the same pattern for her also. (It's from Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin in a Day, so it's very quick to put together).

Thanks in advance for the great advice I know I'll get. I love this board!

shequilts 02-09-2010 03:42 PM

Pam:
I know your Dad is going to love that quilt!
As for the quiting. If it were mine, I would definately quilt the borders. You're talking about 16 inches of border here. It's a great place to showcase some quilting (if the fabric isn't too busy). You could quilt the entire area of borders as though it were one piece. Just quilt right over top of the rows. I personally feel that when large areas are unquilted, it looks skimpy and there's always the possibility of the batting lumping up.
Suggestion: If you're in a hurry...Starting in the cneter of the the border, draw a chevron design all the way through the borders. Quilt the lines one or two inches apart. If you have enough time, then turn the chevron upside down and when you quilt those lines, you'll have 1. a lot of quilting 2. A secure quilt 3. A very interesting pattern.
Good luck.
If you can't envision my suggestion, email me and I'll try to better explain.
Karen

pam1966 02-09-2010 04:17 PM

That's a great idea, quilting the entire area of borders instead of each one individually. That will save me time! And the design you suggested will do great. Thanks!

Crlyn 02-09-2010 04:33 PM

Sounds lovely, a photo when completed please! :D

beachlady 02-09-2010 07:11 PM

I agree with shequilts.

amma 02-09-2010 10:17 PM

That recommendation is 6" X 6" square :D
So yes you would need to quilt the borders, leaving no bigger spots than the 6X6 :D:D:D
I can't wait to see your quilt!!! Your parents are going to love their gifts :D:D:D

earthwalker 02-09-2010 10:19 PM

Sounds like a great plan...pics please!

Oklahoma Suzie 02-10-2010 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
Pam:
I know your Dad is going to love that quilt!
As for the quiting. If it were mine, I would definately quilt the borders. You're talking about 16 inches of border here. It's a great place to showcase some quilting (if the fabric isn't too busy). You could quilt the entire area of borders as though it were one piece. Just quilt right over top of the rows. I personally feel that when large areas are unquilted, it looks skimpy and there's always the possibility of the batting lumping up.
Suggestion: If you're in a hurry...Starting in the cneter of the the border, draw a chevron design all the way through the borders. Quilt the lines one or two inches apart. If you have enough time, then turn the chevron upside down and when you quilt those lines, you'll have 1. a lot of quilting 2. A secure quilt 3. A very interesting pattern.
Good luck.
If you can't envision my suggestion, email me and I'll try to better explain.
Karen

what a great idea.