Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have Finally figured out FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-finally-figured-out-fmq-t293996.html)

MarionsQuilts 01-12-2018 01:48 PM

I have Finally figured out FMQ

I have struggled for a long time trying to get comfortable doing FMQ. The last time I tried it (just before Christmas), I decided that I hated it, and was done with it.

I was chatting with someone at work who does it, and she asked me if I used the spring action or the floating. I had no idea what she meant (I have seen both options on my sewing machine, but didn't really explore the difference!)

Well, I was trying to get it using the spring loaded method ... I tried the free motion floating ... what a difference! I just did three feather borders doing free motion floating, and it was awesome and easy!!!

I think I am onto something!!!!!

So for those of you out there struggling, see if you can try another option like I had ... who knows, you might like it!

jillmc 01-12-2018 01:55 PM

Don’t you just love those lightbulb moments? I had one myself today, and it has renewed my quilting energy! Post some pix of your quilting please!

Watson 01-12-2018 02:00 PM

Great that you found something that works for you!
I much prefer the floating foot myself.

Watson

MarionsQuilts 01-12-2018 03:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics ... i figured it out doing the applique. The cockatoos are with the spring action, and I was really unhappy with, and put this away for a couple of days. Then I tried the floating motion and did the borders. There's a lot of empty space at the bottom because I am bringing this to the parrot sanctuary I volunteer at and want to write the cockatoos names on it!

The other one is the slip knot wall hanging that I did because I loved the fabric, and I tried FMQ on it - it's not perfect, but it's not horrible, and I actually enjoyed doing it!

Thanks for looking,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586953[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586954[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586955[/ATTACH]

jillmc 01-12-2018 04:13 PM

Wow! Yes, you have figured out how to FMQ! Nicely done! And I love that there is a parrot sanctuary! So many wonderful opportunities that we can contribute to with our time and talents. Thumbs up!

meyert 01-12-2018 04:24 PM

great quilting! good for you. I don't understand what do you mean by "floating"?

Maggie_Sue 01-12-2018 04:26 PM

So glad you didn't give up beautiful wall hangings and quilting!!!

Teen 01-12-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 7981668)
great quilting! good for you. I don't understand what do you mean by "floating"?

Ditto! Does floating mean your presser foot raises automatically a smidgen when you lift your foot and stop sewing? Clarification would be great!

thimblebug6000 01-12-2018 06:17 PM

Great job on this! What machine do you have?

DACO48 01-12-2018 06:43 PM

I don't understand floating either.