Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a FMQ question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-fmq-question-t48130.html)

vovoa 06-02-2010 03:15 PM

I am FMQ straigt lines that cross. I am using masking tape to mark the lines and my walking foot. As I cross over the tape I am ending my line by going back a couple stitches and as I start my new line I do the same thing. (Are you totally confused now?)

This is leaving a darker thread color (because of going over the stitching to set it) at the beginning and ending of each line. How do you do this so this doesn't happen?

Gosh I hope someone understands what I'm saying...

Kathy N 06-02-2010 03:17 PM

Rather than go back over the stitching use something that is called a lockstitch where you sew in one spot for a couple of stitches. Electronic machines have an actual lockstitch built in with just a button to push, but you can do the same thing on a rotary machine by just holding tight to your fabric for 2-3 stitches.

dsb38327 06-02-2010 03:19 PM

I understand precisely what you are saying, your description gave me a visual.
Too bad I don't know a solution but there are many members who will.
Good luck and happy FMQ.

Kathy, I have oftened wondered if the machine would be 'making new stitches' if I 'sewed in place'. You are saying it does. I am so glad you included that in your solution. Thankyou.

vovoa 06-02-2010 03:20 PM

Yes! You know exactly what I was talking about...and I totally understand what you are saying.

Thanks Kathy!

Toni

amma 06-02-2010 03:21 PM

If you double up your stitches, keep them in the outer seam lines and your binding will cover them up :wink:

Prism99 06-02-2010 04:47 PM

Are you sewing from one quilt edge to the other? If so, the backstitching isn't a problem (except that most people say not to backstitch with a walking foot).

Not sure I understand why you are backstitching when you come to the tape if you are sewing straight lines.

Stitching in place does form new stitches. Since stitching in place will build up thread in that area, I usually make 3 eentsy-weentsy-tiny stitches instead with the stitch length turned down to almost 0 but not quite 0.

littlehud 06-02-2010 05:08 PM

That's what I do too. Just a couple tiny stitches and they hold well.

geckogirl 06-02-2010 05:12 PM

Sorry to ask a silly question but . . . . . . What is FMQ?

LadybugPam 06-02-2010 05:14 PM

free motion quilting

thimblebug6000 06-02-2010 05:17 PM

If I'm making a donation quilt I don't mind using the "fix" stitch, but if I'm using totally different coloured thread top & bottom on a gift quilt, I leave thread ends & methodically hand tiey them, and thread them in through the batting every once in awhile. It takes time....but it's a neater look & I hate it when I see a "lump" of thread on the back of a quilt from doing the fix stitch.
So interesting how we all have our own preference......hope you find a way that suits you.