Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have an idea for a tutorial.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-idea-tutorial-t12932.html)

mpeters1200 11-05-2008 03:35 PM

I keep finding the same mistakes in my projects. I think part of my problem is that I didn't do anything but tack together pre-made tops at my club for 3 years. I finally start working on my own projects again and it seems as if my cutting isn't as accurate as it should be.

I would love it if someone went step by step into squaring fabric before cutting and the different ways to use the lines on the mat or the lines on the ruler. I don't know how to cut using the lines on the ruler, only the mat. I know that some of my pieces may measure right, but they weren't squared right.

Is anyone out there good at cutting that would put on one of these tutorials? I would appreciate it a great deal.

Melissa

Renee 11-05-2008 04:56 PM

I would appreciate that too!

purplemem 11-05-2008 05:52 PM

I need that one too!

Harmony 11-05-2008 06:33 PM

I think we could all use a refresher course on those skills!

bearisgray 11-05-2008 08:22 PM

You can start out by checking to make sure your rulers are as "true" as they can be.

I've had two rulers that I can remember that weren't even true to themselves.

By that I mean - if you are using a square, does it measure the same in both directions.

Start out by making sure your pattern/templates "fit" together correctly. Usually they do, but not always.

Do the lines on your mat line up with the lines on your rulers?

I have a June Tailor Cut N Press - which I like a lot - but the lines are not accurate - I just use the lines to get my corners square and edges straight. They may have been accurate at the time of manufacture, but mine isn't anymore.

I have better success cutting the long strips parallel to the selvage instead of across - that way I have a least two edges with a straight grain line. When I try cutting across the width, I end up either with a bias edge because of the way the fabric is processed or a bend in the middle.

Make sure your blade is sharp.

Kitty Yates 11-06-2008 03:03 AM

Go to: purlbee.com/rotary-cutter-tutorial. This is very helpful and may be what you are looking for.

Moonpi 11-06-2008 05:18 AM

I feel so ancient.
When I started quilting, there WERE no lines on the cutting mats!

mpeters1200 11-06-2008 06:29 AM

I do like that purlbee one. I have never learned how to cut using the lines on the ruler. I think that the one beginning class I took, the teacher was left handed. I find that I cut completely opposite the tutorial, just with my right hand. I'm going to have to learn to have the excess fabric off to the right instead of to the left. I like the idea of the ruler "protecting" the square that you are going to use in the top. The way I cut doesn't do that and if I veer off somewhere, I've ruined the piece.

I hope it's not too hard to retrain myself. I've been cutting the wrong way about 6 years.....rrrrrgggg.

mamatobugboo 11-06-2008 06:35 AM

i would also like to see tutorial on using all those "special" rulers, the triangles and such. I am a whiz at the traditional rulers, just have never cut triangles with a triangle ruler, or those other ones that are supposed to make triangles really easy - i'm so NOT into those rulers that I don't even know what they are called - and I've been quilting for 5 years!

bearisgray 11-06-2008 08:18 AM

I've bought several of those triangle rulers - and have a hard time understanding where to cut with them to end up with the proper size triangle.

So I don't use them.