Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have the Longarm Learning Blues! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-longarm-learning-blues-t200516.html)

#1piecemaker 09-20-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere (Post 5528240)
I was thinking the same thing: what kind of machine requires a 5 minute warmup? especially with unthreading entire thread path?

Sorry to hear about your 'learning experience' - I know when I have my 'learning experiences' I almost NEVER forget what I've learned...a.k.a. 'on the job training'

I got the Nolting 30. the warmup is supposed to make sure all the parts are lubricated and the computer is set after it has been shut down. The nice part is that I only have to add one drop of oil to four spots on top of the machine every 8 hours of sewing time and 2 drops to the bobbin carriage every couple of bobbins. All of the working parts are enclosed so there is no cleaning except to blow or brush away excess lint. As for my remembering everything the first go around, my mind isn't what it used to be.

wolph33 09-25-2012 01:16 PM

We had a Handiquilter that from bobbin to bobbin was a persnickety machine -lots of issues like yours.We got an Innova-and oh my-great-seldom any tension issues or adjustments.I still check after each bobbin change-but never need to -just an old habit now.If you pay attention to the sound-bad stitching will sound different while quilting.

LadyElisabeth 09-25-2012 04:05 PM

Well, we are all one big happy family, aren't we? Usually share the same learning mishaps, do overs, ripping, etc.

IowaStitcher 09-25-2012 04:51 PM

Might try getting one of those closed circuit security cameras from "ToolsRUs"(Harbor Frieght). They have one in their current add for ~$50 including the B/W monitor.

puddingtain 09-25-2012 05:50 PM

the good news is that you will never make that mistake again !!! da dah da dah
sorry that it happened to you tho !

PlanoDebbie 09-25-2012 09:45 PM

I'm also new to using a Longarm, and I have also spent many hours using a seam ripper. If the loopies are on the bottom, it's your upper tension that's messed up. For me, I discovered that I hadn't put the tension bar down regularly. If you can easily pull your thread through your needle when you are ready to sew, you're gonna have a problem. Tension bar UP while threading the machine, then put it down. If you're thread still pulls through the needle without any resistance, you don't have any tension on the top at all. Also, try turning your tension wheel clock-wise a half turn to see if that helps.

I was so frustrated the first time I used my machine, that I refused to even look at it for 2 months. I was so afraid that I had just wasted $6000 on an over-sized paper weight. Once I finally figured out all of my tension and threading issues, I can happily report that I have now completed 8 quilts on my machine!

Good luck!

#1piecemaker 09-26-2012 04:47 AM

got out some tools and moved my thread holder up a little closer to the machine. I think I solved the problem of the laser light disappearing. Only time will tell. I also figured out that I had missed a place when rethreading. Gonna try again!!

#1piecemaker 10-05-2012 05:18 AM

I am happy to say that I am doing much better. I'm getting plenty of practice.

Toni C 10-05-2012 12:27 PM

Good deal #1! Just keep plugging away and pretty soon you'll be doing it!

margecam52 10-19-2012 08:54 PM

I use the basting down of the batting at the top to test stitches...I don't use a mirror...what I do is run my fingernail along the stitches on the underside of the quilt...if you feel a tut, tut, tut as you go along...then it's time to unpin (I unzip) the backing at the takeup bar a little ways, and check the stitches.

Wonder how many folks get a class in using their machines? I didn't, had to teach myself. Thinking about offering some classes here (in my home) for those interested in learning about longarm quilting...from preparing to finishing the quilt on a longarm...and one on maintenence.