Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have never followed a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-never-followed-pattern-t16982.html)

Jamie 02-26-2009 06:30 PM

Okay everyone need a suggestion here...I have Never followed a pattern, I have always done a fly by the seat of my pants style..Made it up as I went...which I personaly enjoy because it allowes me to be as creative as I want..But I think I would like to try a pattern..I have a great quilt shop where i frequent, and a quilting fabric shop right next to it...so I need a good simple easy to follow pattern to try...any suggestions???

p.s. I've finished 2 more wall hangings and a wolf quilt, I would love to post pictures, but I can't seem to find my camera card, or connector to do it.. :cry: hopefuly I will have them posted soon.

littlehud 02-26-2009 06:32 PM

I like the double Irish chain. Or maybe a log cabin.

chairjogger 02-26-2009 06:36 PM

Dear Jamie,
Thirty years ago as a draftsman it was commented.. How wonderful ! Your geometry will be so easy as you learn to quilt.

Never have I used my geometry.. I do the fly by the seat of my pants. Log cabin, thangles, squares, never - I mean never too - curves.

It is just not what I can do. These women that plan, create and use the geometry, God Bless them.. I can create, be pleased.. but as a crafter, a true quilter.. Nope.. Just a dabbler that always walks away felling ok..

Sample quilt no pattern style: Log Cabin, Nine Patch. Thangles. Use a square template so if nine patch is just a little off. it can be trimmed to perfection.. Good luck !
Ellen

Jamie 02-26-2009 07:01 PM

I personaly find the planning, and measuring..and the exactness of patterns a little daunting personaly, which is why I've never used one...I've tought myself quilting, sewing, hand embrodery, knitting..all of that stuff...I have never had anyone "show" me what I am suppose to be doing...I love creating..but I'm not great at planning or exactness...so I thought I would try working on that..which was why I was looking for just a simple my 6 yr old could do this kinda thing lol.

Jamie

Maride 02-26-2009 07:25 PM

I never follow patterns either. I see something and adapt it my way. I agree that a log cabin is a great way to start. Have you seen the techniques done by Ricky Tims? I love his techniques. He teaches you to "follow" a pattern while doing your own thing and the results are amazing. I love convergence quilts the most. I took his super seminar last year and never quilted the same way again.

You can see some of his pieces at www.thequiltshow.com

Maria

kd124 03-02-2009 11:56 PM

I would say a rail or log cabin because there is so many possible ways to arrange them. An Irish chain is also easy and very pretty.

Skeat 03-03-2009 04:58 AM

Jamie...this comes from a person that never knew how to sew or use my sewing machine past a hem or such before quilting;0). Since you find or feel that following exact, etc 'tedious' then I would strongly suggest a 'sampler'pattern. Where each block is different. That way it will keep it interesting and you will learn so much from it too. I know I did! But, do not lose that 'fly by the seat of pants'....that is your personal style and original. Sometimes it is a stress reliever for me to sew what I've been told to do such as a kit or such...and you will too. Keep us posted on your adventure! It's always good to think out our safe lines! Skeat

auntluc 03-03-2009 05:37 AM

Just the opposite here....I've never been able to complete a quilt if I don't have an exact pattern to follow. :oops:
I envy those of you who have the talent and imagination to be creative...like Izy.
If I tried to "fly by the seat of my pants"...I'd be jailed for indecent exposure. :lol:

sandpat 03-03-2009 05:44 AM

I'm like some of the others here..I barely knew how to turn the sewing machine ON prior to quilting (my DH did all the mending...my method involved staples and duck tape)..anyway..If I do start with a pattern I always get side tracked and it ends up being different. When I 1st started though a woman recommended the Turning Twenty pattern where you use 20 FQ's.

Darlene 03-03-2009 06:24 AM

There are a million free patterns out there especially Quilter's Cache she does a great job in explaining her patterns. I personally love stars.
Darlene