Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question about the 'twister' ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-about-twister-ruler-t263809.html)

oldpiglady 04-09-2015 02:30 PM

I have a question about the 'twister' ruler

:) Hi everybody..Hey! I have a question. I bought a pattern to make the 'twister' pattern quilt. my question is: can I make it without having to buy yet another specialty ruler...or do I have to only use that ruler? Don't know much about it. Thought maybe someone here would know. Thanks, gang.

quiltingcandy 04-09-2015 02:40 PM

I don't call it a ruler as much as a tool/template. The item you use to cut out the squares has feet so it fits over the seams. And it has lines on it so you line it up with jeans and get the angles you need. There are three different sizes of tools and you don't have to buy all three - just get the one you want.

oldpiglady 04-09-2015 02:46 PM

Now I AM confused, quilting candy, it looks like a flat square with mismatched lines. So how do you cut the fabric through something like that?

tessagin 04-09-2015 02:47 PM

I measured the twister template/ruler I have. It's 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". If you come back from each corner by 3/4", then make diagonal lines from those points you will have the markings for the twister. For something like the twister If you really want that pattern to turn out right, it has 4 non slip grips that also help to elevate it slightly. For the larger template I don't know what the dimensions would be. Probably the same but no math whiz here. I would spring for the template.

oldpiglady 04-09-2015 02:51 PM

Thanks, both of you...I just have rulers coming out of my ears...was hoping I could improvise. Guess I will get the right thing. Don't want to mess up another project. BTW...you two must have sitting right on top of the computer..talk about a fast response! lol

Tartan 04-09-2015 03:26 PM

I have made my own ruler from another square ruler. I wanted squares in a size that the Twister doesn't come in. I used clear tape on the top of my ruler and marked the lines on the tape with a sharpie. I made sure to put the clear tape on the top of the ruler so that when I peeled off the tape the ruler would be okay. If you put tape on the underside where the lines are, I think peeling off the tape may take off the ruler lines.
The benefit of the actual Twister ruler is, it has little rubber feet underneath so the ruler is stable over the seam allowance bumps and doesn't slip. If the Twister ruler is in the size you want, it is worth it.

oldpiglady 04-09-2015 04:16 PM

thanks, Tartan

Onebyone 04-09-2015 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7159516)
I don't call it a ruler as much as a tool/template. The item you use to cut out the squares has feet so it fits over the seams. And it has lines on it so you line it up with jeans and get the angles you need. There are three different sizes of tools and you don't have to buy all three - just get the one you want.

This is confusing.

You could print out a picture of the ruler to size and measure the lines on template plastic. I do this for a lot of specialty rulers that aren't too complicated. If I like the blocks after I make them I'll buy the ruler for next time. I have two sizes of the Twister ruler and it is worth buying for the time it saves.

quiltingcandy 04-09-2015 08:19 PM

Sorry that my explanation wasn't clear. Unfortunately I can't find a picture of the Twister tool - it is a square piece of acrylic with what appears to be lines that are angled. When you make a twister quilt you first sew together the fabric squares - then using the twister tool cut the fabric apart by placing the tool on the seams and cutting out the squares. The tool has little balls at each corner so the tool sits flat and doesn't rock when you cut. You can see a tutorial on it at the MSQC - The Amazing Twister Tool – Quilting Made Easy.

vondae 04-09-2015 08:23 PM

You might want to check out some videos on how to use it. Jenny Doan @ MSQC has a really good one and there are others on Youtube, also.