Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-t22068.html)

cas 06-30-2009 05:22 AM

I plan on making my daughter an Underground Railroad wall hanging. I have the Eleanor Burns book and understand the process of making each block, etc. My question is, how do you know what fabric to pick?

I want to use reproduction fabric and have spent hours trying to pick fabric and am no closer to a decision. I appreciate any answers to help preserve my sanity!

sewjoyce 06-30-2009 05:27 AM

When I go crazy trying to pick out fabric, I take my pattern to my local LQS. They ask questions and actually listen and I always end up with something beautiful!! And usually, it's something that I would never have thought to put together. So give them a try!

Esqmommy 06-30-2009 05:53 AM

Pick something you love...it's hard when you love them all. think about the receipient - favorite color, hobby, any of the objects in the print remind you of her when she was a baby, or something like that? does she love the moon and stars...you see where I'm going? Hope that helps a little.

cutebuns 06-30-2009 05:54 AM

Wish I could help but have no idea what prints are availkable to you.

Ninnie 06-30-2009 05:59 AM

I would use civil war reproductions.

BellaBoo 06-30-2009 06:12 AM

Our guild made this quilt as member project last year. Everyone used different fabrics. There was one made from 30's prints and one made using batiks. One member made hers from scraps. One used muslin as the background fabric in all the blocks and used bright solid colors. The members who wanted to stay true to the pattern used reproduction prints.

ChattanoogaRocks 06-30-2009 06:42 AM

The original patterns were created by "making do" with scraps - don't stress too much over the fabric choices.

Don't forget, this is supposed to be fun!

If you're using reproduction fabrics, make sure that there is enough contrast to make the elements of the block stand out. You could take a black and white photo of the fabrics side by side and see if there's enough contrast. I'd do this for each individual block - picking each of the sets of fabric. It can help you decide.

I have the book too and love the underground railroad quilts. Now you've got me thinking that I need to make one......

littlehud 06-30-2009 07:59 AM

I take my daughters to the fabric store and have them pick one or two fabrics they like and go from there.

cas 06-30-2009 09:38 AM

I appreciate everyone's replies. I have spent the morning researching your suggestions and I think I've got the idea.

Although I'm intimidated with all your beautiful blocks, wall hanging and quilts, I will give it a try and my daughter will love it no matter what it looks like.

cutebuns 06-30-2009 10:12 AM

mine look so much better in pictures, all the little mistakes etc don't show that much, and frankly, we all started somewhere. There is a reason why I don't show the back of my blocks as well. We really want to see what you are doing and what you have done.