Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a silly question........... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-silly-question-t87706.html)

Mesissy 01-04-2011 05:28 PM

Instead of basting the quilt top, batting and backing (or use pins), could i use a thin layer of Elmer's glue (watered down) and apply it to the 3 layers? When finished i thought maybe it could just be washed out. Just a silly question. Thanks Cheryl

thimblebug6000 01-04-2011 05:31 PM

Not a silly question....sounds just like you would be using a purchased can of spray adhesive. I have never tried it....and probably won't but if the glue washes out...shouldn't be a problem.

Up North 01-04-2011 05:33 PM

Not sure if you could quilt easily through it I would just use spray basting in a can it is so easy.

MadQuilter 01-04-2011 05:33 PM

Even watered down ELmers gets hard and changes the consistency of the fabric temporarily. I would be afraid that the amount of elmers needed would seep through the fabric and glue everything in its wake. Plus, I'm not sure how well Elmers would wash out of the batting. My imagination sets up "quilting cardboard" scenario.

luvTooQuilt 01-04-2011 05:33 PM

it might get your fabric and batting too wet. and if your fabric gets too wet might stretch..

Try basting spray.. it's pretty awesome..

Quilter7x 01-04-2011 05:34 PM

Missy, the 505 basting spray will do exactly what you are wanting. I have never used Elmer's glue in quilting, so I can't speak to that, but I have used 505 and it does a great job of what you're trying to accomplish.

Elizabeth-Liz 01-04-2011 05:40 PM

I have used a method I think it is by Sharon Shamburger (sp) on using elmers glue to glue the binding down and then I either hand or machine sew. I can get to much in places but it washed out just fine. The first quilting teacher I had uses the spray elmers to baste all of her quilts and it washes out. I have also used the elmers spray glue and have not had any problems with it.

fleurdelisquilts.com 01-04-2011 05:41 PM

Missy, you might give it a try on a small practice piece just to see how it works but I wouldn't try it on something good.

vintagemotif 01-04-2011 05:43 PM

You could always do a mini quilt as a test.

featherweight 01-04-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth "Liz"
I have used a method I think it is by Sharon Shamburger (sp) on using elmers glue to glue the binding down and then I either hand or machine sew. I can get to much in places but it washed out just fine. The first quilting teacher I had uses the spray elmers to baste all of her quilts and it washes out. I have also used the elmers spray glue and have not had any problems with it.

Yes, It is Sharon Schamber, She has an awesome way with Elmers. I have use it several times and it washed right out. I don't think I would try to do the whole quilt though...