Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just can't believe my eyes with this batting. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-cant-believe-my-eyes-batting-t210646.html)

verna2197 01-10-2013 01:17 PM

I just can't believe my eyes with this batting.

2 Attachment(s)
Picture number 1 is the batting I use for my quilts. Its all 100% cotton. Suppose to be very good batting. I made a quilt for my bf for her birthday in 2008 she just gave it back cause her dog thought it was a chew toy. As I was taking it apart to fix I just about freaked out. I can't believe that this is what the batting turned into in only 5 years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387285[/ATTACH]

here is picture number 2 after I took the batting out of the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387286[/ATTACH]

Can anyone on here tell me why this happened? It just seem like it should be like this.

auntpiggylpn 01-10-2013 01:23 PM

WOW! I'm sure someone will come along with an answer. Is it a poly or cotton batting? And did you quilt or tie it to the quilting specifications of the batting manufacturer?

feline fanatic 01-10-2013 01:29 PM

Holy cow! I've never seen anything like it! Of course I've never had to take apart one of my quilts after a long time but I discovered an antique quilt inside a tied quilt picked up at Salvation army and while the fabric is falling apart due to age the batting looks better than that! Would you share what brand of batting this is? And like auntpigglypn mentioned was the quilting as close as the manufactured specified? This almost looks like migration due to the quilting being too far spaced and all that is holding it together is the scrim.

Jingle 01-10-2013 01:39 PM

After 40+ years, my Son has a quilt I made back then, the top fabrics are all gone. The poly batting and backing are in same shape and condition as when I made it. I would not use cotton batting for several reasons and this is one.
I quilt a meander, fairly close together. I always use a high loft poly batting.

BellaBoo 01-10-2013 01:53 PM

What brand was the batting? It looks like it wasn't needlepunched or had scrim to hold it together.

Tashana 01-10-2013 01:57 PM

Holly Molly! I have a quilt that is at least 40 years old. Backing, Sashing and borders were cotton poly blend and are like new, cotton is worn off a lot, faded with some holes showing and the batting is almost nonexistent. I did not take the quilt apart but I can tell by simply touching it. It was quilted by hand pretty sparingly who is probably why the batting is almost gone. Maybe that was the problem with your quilt as well. If not that than it must be the batch you used was not as good as it usually is.

verna2197 01-10-2013 02:09 PM

100% cotton hand tyed pretty close. I can't think of the name of it but I get it at Hancocks. Now this is the very fist time I have saw something like this. I asked her what did you wash it in, she said the washing machine. LOL! I asked her if she used bleach and she said no she does not like bleach but she does wash it everyweek on account of her pets.

auntpiggylpn 01-10-2013 02:14 PM

I think I would figure out what brand it is and I would send an email to the manufacturer with the pictures you posted. Maybe they would be able to give you some insight. . .

mighty 01-10-2013 02:14 PM

Woowa, I can not even imagine what happened.

verna2197 01-10-2013 02:15 PM

Yes I was planning on doing that cause its not cheap to buy and then for it to turn around and do that. Its not right.