Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I knew this might happen. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-knew-might-happen-t128444.html)

Radiana 06-06-2011 07:17 AM

I'm just sick about what happened last night to my new sewing machine. I bought myself a Brother SE400 for Mother's Day and I was so happy with it. It wasn't ideal for quilting any large projects but I loved it for piecing.

I made a terrible mistake by getting a quarter inch presser foot that I knew could be a problem because it had to have the needle in the middle position. I thought I would be very careful in making sure to align it correctly. In the back of my mind I knew I was playing Russian roulette. Sure enough it happened last night, the needle came crashing done on the presser foot.

I thought it would just be a matter of replacing the needle but I tried two new needles and both broke and the machine is just not working.

I was crying a little after it happened because I know it won't be covered by the warranty and God knows how much it will cost to fix.

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so were you able to have it fixed?

I feel so sad because yesterday was a really good day for me, I was missing the grandkids and all of a sudden my son brought them by for a couple of hours. It was such a blessing to me and after they left I was working on the quilt and thinking how nicely it was coming together.

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders.

Sadiemae 06-06-2011 07:20 AM

So sorry, I hope you can fix it.

SuzyQ 06-06-2011 07:22 AM

Oh, no. I've never done it that bad. I have one of those feet too but my machine re-centers every time I power on and off. Hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas. Prayers for a better day.

Susan

MellieKQuilter 06-06-2011 07:23 AM

I have done that numerous times... UGH. However, mine has survived each incident... maybe something else is wrong? Have you tried taking the foot completely off and reassembling?

crt 06-06-2011 07:28 AM

I have done that on my Brother before, too. I haven't had any problem with it not resetting. Try again today, and if it still isn't working, I would just call the dealer and ask them for suggestions. Good luck!

Linda71 06-06-2011 07:28 AM

I have a new Brother NX 2000. I love it. I programed my machine to start in the middle position. Check your manual, maybe you can change yours. Linda

sueisallaboutquilts 06-06-2011 07:29 AM

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry! I hope someone here can help. I'm sending you a big HUG, sweetie!!

Elisabethann 06-06-2011 07:30 AM

I've done the same thing, but once I replaced the needle, it was fine. Maybe a piece of the needle fell down into the bobbin area? Have you cleaned it out good? I would clean it out, replace the needle, check the bobbin etc and try again.

i'm sorry this happened. I know the feeling and it starts with a huge pit in your stomach. :(

gunny148 06-06-2011 07:32 AM

I have Brother CS8072 it has an arm the you swing out into the needle and you hook your thread on it, release the arm and the needle is threaded.. But my thing is when you turn it off an then back on the leddle resets to a zigzag stitch. I cant count how many needles i han broke. the needle slams right on to the presser foot. theres a dent in the foot. but it still sews

quiltyfeelings 06-06-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
I have a new Brother NX 2000. I love it. I programed my machine to start in the middle position. Check your manual, maybe you can change yours. Linda

I was thinking the same thing. I know that some Brothers can be re-programmed. You might need a new needle shaft which is really not that expensive compared to the price of the machine. $20-ish