Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I love quilting but I hate making tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-love-quilting-but-i-hate-making-tops-t159817.html)

GingerK 10-12-2011 05:08 AM

I wish you lived closer to me. I also love to make the tops but cannot hand quilt due to arthritis,and really do not enjoy machine quilting all that much. Hmmmmm.....maybe you just have to set a price and advertise in our 'buy,sell,trade' section. Bet there would be a lot of takers!

Annaquilts 10-12-2011 05:10 AM

I might be interested. PM me if you are serious and see if we can work something out. I know I am on the other side of the USA but there is always US postal services.

mpspeedy 10-12-2011 05:10 AM

Ashley, A woman after my own heart. I make a lot of Linus quilts but they are a simple childish print layered with batting and a flannel back. I then machine quilt them just enough to hold up to laundering. I do use colorful, often varigated thread and a decorative stitch.
My most favorite thing is the handquilting. For several years I was a handquilter for hire. Alas the long armers have put me out of business. Everyone is in a hurry. I can usually quilt a bed size quilt in six weeks or a little more depending on the size. My favoriate quilt to make is a wholecloth , premarked tone on tone or white on white. I have made a number of them.

mpspeedy 10-12-2011 05:10 AM

Sorry

gigigray032447 10-12-2011 05:16 AM

Send me a private message. I love to piece and am really good at it (won honorable mention at the NC State Fair) but I hate quilting in all forms.

Zhillslady 10-12-2011 05:37 AM

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find one. I'd gladly make a quilt top for someone that would hand quilt one of mine.

I think bartering is the wave of the future. I FMQ tops for a friend and in exchange she does all my binding by hand. My computer tech fixes my laptop and in exchange I make his wife or daughter a new purse. Bartering is the way to go.

fabric_fancy 10-12-2011 05:38 AM

any time you want to join forces let me know.

i would love to make tops in exchange for hand quilting.

Kehoeta 10-12-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I know I can't be the only one out there.... I really really dislike making tops. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the very best at it, but I can do it. I'm pleased with the results but I hate the process. So much that I'm going to go ahead and say it aloud: I HATE making quilt tops and I'm not going to do it again ever.

I love quilting. I love hand-quilting and I'm good at it. I am having fun practicing machine quilting, but I'm not good at it at all (yet!). I would love to quilt for hire but who can afford a hand-quilter??! My dream is to partner up with someone who loves to piece and she/he makes the tops and bastes them (ha) and I quilt them. :)

Darn - you live too far away for me to partner with you. I hate to quilt - but love making tops.

AshleyR 10-12-2011 06:03 AM

Wow, I am overwhelmed!!
I posted this message quickly before I got busy at work and came back to this!! I will PM those who have requested it (and feel free to PM me to speed things up a bit and let me know what you're thinking because my mind is blown!) when I get the chance too.

I love this forum!

ShowMama 10-12-2011 06:10 AM

Oh, I'm the opposite from you. I love to design and piece the tops, but hate the layering and quilting process. Too bad we don't live closer to each other.