Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I love quilting but I hate making tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-love-quilting-but-i-hate-making-tops-t159817.html)

mpspeedy 10-12-2011 12:07 PM

I can handquilt in six weeks. I once made a doublebed quilt from start to finish for a raffle in 5 weeks.

tsnana2000 10-12-2011 12:18 PM

I love to machine quilt. I like making tops too, but I have so much more fun doing the quilting. I bought an HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down machine and I love it. I don't make quilt tops fast enough to stay practiced up on my machine quilting. So I am trying to figure out how to get practice without having to make the tops first. Lol

Mary M 10-12-2011 12:19 PM

I am another who would rather piece the tops than quilt. I would gladly exchange some work if it isn't really expensive to send.

Jingle 10-12-2011 01:05 PM

Not me. I love making whole quilts. I love everything about it. I feel sorry for you that you don't love the whole process. It makes me feel very good to finish a quilt.

ube quilting 10-12-2011 01:21 PM

It's a great idea. There are lots of partners in the quilting world. good luck on your quest. At least two people can benefit from this kind of deal! :thumbup:

blondeslave 10-12-2011 01:35 PM

My stepmother did this many years ago. A friend in KY would piece the tops and Vel would hand quilt them. She would do several quilts and then get to keep one. I am in posession of the last quilt Vel quilted and treasure it. She no longer quilts but does some crochet work.

collady 10-12-2011 02:09 PM

I sure wish I lived in Knoxville. My DS and DDIL live there. I have introduced her mother to quilting. She in turn discover Mammaw's Thimble. It is a 10 hour drive, so I can't get there often. I would love to have someone hand-quilt some of my tops for me.

mpspeedy 10-12-2011 02:19 PM

I live in rural Maryland,about 45 miles north of Baltimore and just below Hanover PA. I belong to two guilds and have done a little quilting for some of the members but since there are now at least a half dozen longarmers between the two guilds I haven't gotten any commissions in several years. I also have in competion the Amish and Mennonite women that live in my general area. The majority of the handquilting I have done for others in the last several years has been a donation either at the local senior center, my church or a raffle quilt to aid our local Linus organization.
I wouldn't mind swapping handquilting for someone to put together some tops for me. PM me if you are interested.

Greenheron 10-12-2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
Ashley, A woman after my own heart. I make a lot of Linus quilts but they are a simple childish print layered with batting and a flannel back. I then machine quilt them just enough to hold up to laundering. I do use colorful, often varigated thread and a decorative stitch.
My most favorite thing is the handquilting. For several years I was a handquilter for hire. Alas the long armers have put me out of business. Everyone is in a hurry. I can usually quilt a bed size quilt in six weeks or a little more depending on the size. My favoriate quilt to make is a wholecloth , premarked tone on tone or white on white. I have made a number of them.

Are you in Garrett County by any chance? Oh, I see your post that you posted while I was posting. :lol:

bigsister63 10-12-2011 02:56 PM

just put a "quilt piecer wanted" add on the board and I am sure you will have many many applications!!!!!! (ME included)