Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I love quilting but I hate making tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-love-quilting-but-i-hate-making-tops-t159817.html)

Sunnye 10-13-2011 09:38 AM

Should we meet in the middle? I love the tops (although they never end up the way I started them) and hate to quilt!

Rumbols 10-13-2011 09:40 AM

I have one but haven't used it. I will be trying it this weekend. Thanks for the tips.

Mona Lisa 2011 10-13-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I know I can't be the only one out there.... I really really dislike making tops. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the very best at it, but I can do it. I'm pleased with the results but I hate the process. So much that I'm going to go ahead and say it aloud: I HATE making quilt tops and I'm not going to do it again ever.

I love quilting. I love hand-quilting and I'm good at it. I am having fun practicing machine quilting, but I'm not good at it at all (yet!). I would love to quilt for hire but who can afford a hand-quilter??! My dream is to partner up with someone who loves to piece and she/he makes the tops and bastes them (ha) and I quilt them. :)

Too bad you are so far away. You and I would be a good team! I HATE QUILTING..............

Grace Giaimo 10-13-2011 10:18 AM

I patiently piece just so I can get to my first love - machine quilting. I always practice quilting on a small quilt sandwich before quilting my project. One day my friend saw the practice piece and remarked that it looked like a small quilt. Soooooo, I began to plan my practice pieces so that I had a neater looking piece (no threads hanging). I began to plan my free motion quilting patterns so they were more pleasing than random quilting. Then I painted the practice piece and had an additional quilt. Then as fate would have it, I came across Irena Bluhm's book Quilts of a Different Color which appealed to me - no piecing.

Luv Quilts and Cats 10-13-2011 10:20 AM

Try hiring out yourself for hand quilting! I see adds all the time in Quilting magazines and on-line from people who will hand quilt. You would probably have a great time? Maybe you could start by contacting local quilt shops? It's worth a try. Good Luck!

countrycousin 10-13-2011 10:20 AM

I am sure you can find a guild that has room for all phases of quilting. I like doing the tops.

Denise S 10-13-2011 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by sharoney
I don't dislike making tops, but FMQ is what I live for! I can't wait to finish a top so I can quilt it. When I finish quilting one, it's like finishing a good book- really enjoyed it, and sad it's over! I FMQ my sis-in-law's quilts, but she works full time and doesn't get very many made.

This question is for anyone to reply to...does the FMQ process take longer than the piecing process?

I have only done SID and would like to to learn to FMQ, but I know it takes a lot of practice, practice, practice (which I don't have the time for right now, but some day)

drgranny 10-13-2011 10:35 AM

I understand completely.I LOVE to make tops but never really liked to quilt. I have a longarm machine now and I still would rather make the tops!

KathyPhillips 10-13-2011 11:13 AM

I am another one that likes to make tops, but don't have time to hand quilt. I love hand quilting. My mother, sister, both grandmothers and aunts hand quilted, and I can, too, but it takes me so long. There were several ladies in Central TX that handquilted at reasonable rates, but they passed away. I don't know anyone in our area of TX that hand quilts for others.
It looks like you have lots of replies! I would send you a quilt top basted with batting and lining for you to hand quilt if you still need someone to trade with. And I'll make you a quilt top. Just tell me what you want. I really like to piece log cabin quilts.
Kathy in TX

AshleyR 10-13-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I love making tops and hate the quilting - machine or hand. I wish you lived closer, we could be buddies! Want to hand quilt my avatar, a hand appliqued Vintage Valentine?

Uh, yeah! It's awesome!