Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I made a mistake-opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-made-mistake-opinions-please-t261852.html)

stlkeeler 02-26-2015 08:58 PM

I made a mistake-opinions please

I am making my first rag quilt. I have minky (first time using that) for the back and have 10 different 1/2 yard pieces of cotton for the front. I made the mistake of cutting 5 of the cotton pieces in squares 2" smaller than the minky and the other 5 pieces. I cut the minky, 1/2 the fabric and some batting squares yesterday. This morning when I came back to it I cut the rest of the fabric the same size as the batting squares. Should I buy more fabric, add something to the smaller squares (what? same fabric or mix and match?) or should I piece whole different blocks with the smaller squares and the scraps (any suggestions? 4 patches, maybe?)

Thanks in advance for any help you have.
Linda

quiltedsunshine 02-26-2015 09:04 PM

I'd probably cut the minky down to 1" bigger than the cotton and batting. But then you might have to add another row or two of squares each direction. How big did you cut your cotton and batting? What size is it supposed to be when finished?

stlkeeler 02-26-2015 09:28 PM

I already sewed the squares I had cut together-from corner to corner- not in rows yet. I started out cutting the minky 10 inches. Most of them turned out 9.5" due to shifting, I think. I cut the fabric 9.5" and the batting 7.5". I just wanted to make a lap quilt for myself so this is my practice one before I make one for my DD and DGD. I doesn't have to be perfect.

imsewnso 02-27-2015 06:20 AM

Working with minky is a challenge in itself. If you are comfortable just to continue, and it is for practice. Then continue, you may have to purchase more fabric to finish it, but you won't loose what you have done.

thimblebug6000 02-27-2015 07:57 AM

Usually rag quilts are made with flannel or a loose homespun or denim fabrics. I'm wondering how the minky will work when you cut the snips along the edges, will it curl?
Sorry no real help for you but hope your project turns out like you envision it.

ManiacQuilter2 02-27-2015 08:56 AM

Yes, working with Mikey is a challenge. I would take the fabric cut too small and make them into HST and the cut it to the correct size. You can use any quilt design when making a rag quilt. Just doesn't have to be a plain square. You could even make a four patch and use it in a rag quilt.

NoraB 02-27-2015 09:04 AM

I agree...take those mis-cut pieces and make 4 patches, half square triangles OR, I've even just sewn the strips together to make a square large enough and then cut it to size. I think I made the strips go diagonal when I squared them up. Just piece what you can to get the size of the larger triangles.

quiltedsunshine 02-27-2015 11:59 AM

Where they're already sewn together, I'd just square-up each block to 9.5" and sew them together with a 1" seam allowance. You should be alright.

stlkeeler 02-27-2015 09:10 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I haven't decided yet what I'll do but I just might decide I need to replace those fabrics and go shopping tomorrow!

twinkie 02-28-2015 04:14 AM

Some interesting replies. Hope you get it figured out.