Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   i made a mistake. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-made-mistake-t235825.html)

Holice 12-01-2013 10:28 AM

Since I can't see the quilt, I will not say it is fine. It is obvious you feel you made a mistake so I do not speculate and say it is ok or your grandmother will be ok with it. It has been my experience over the years seeing 1000's of quilts that when the quilted corners do not match, then it is noticeable. Another point....it is pointless to suggest a solution to a problem like this if you can't see the problem.

Neesie 12-01-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 6433061)
Since I can't see the quilt, I will not say it is fine. It is obvious you feel you made a mistake so I do not speculate and say it is ok or your grandmother will be ok with it. It has been my experience over the years seeing 1000's of quilts that when the quilted corners do not match, then it is noticeable. Another point....it is pointless to suggest a solution to a problem like this if you can't see the problem.

I agree with Holice. Without seeing the problem, how can we say it is or isn't noticeable? I have to admit I have a bit of a problem not correcting mistakes, especially if the item is for a special gift. This is just me . . . but giving a noticeably flawed item is like saying to the recipient, "You aren't worth my time, to correct this." It's one thing, if it's the best you can do . . . but quite another, if you just don't want to take the time to make it right. If it can be fixed, I'd fix it. I know that's not what you want to hear/read . . . but that's the chance you take, when you ask. Sorry. :rolleyes:

BTW, if you are a perfectionist, you must make it right. Otherwise, it'll haunt you forever! :shock:

Holice 12-01-2013 10:59 AM

Reading nessies comment gave me this thought. " It is better to be late and right than on time and wrong"

Gramie bj 12-01-2013 11:14 AM

No mater what anyone says. I have found that if a mistake is glaring to me, and or bothers me, I fix it. Other wise every time I look at the quilt all I see is the mistake. LOL I am not perfect, believe me there are a lot of family quilts out there with mistakes. There is even one that has mistakes that bothered me so much I took out machine quilting to fix. Two years latter I was at my cousins house, noticed she had my quilt on the back of the couch, as I sat down , there in front of me was another mistake! AUUGH ! LOL

Zyngawf 12-01-2013 11:37 AM

Tell us what is the story behind that house rule? Look at it this way, if you must stick to that rule then there is no way to fix it, so maybe it is OK the way it is.

nativetexan 12-01-2013 01:09 PM

Ha, ha. put a big bow over it. kidding, I think.

cindi 12-01-2013 01:38 PM

I say put it on your bed. Can you see the border on the right and the border on the left at the same time? If not, nobody but you is going to know there's a mistake. If that's the case, I'd leave it alone!

Holice 12-01-2013 01:50 PM

I chucked to myself over this.....I made up another little saying.....It goes like this.

"I made a skirt but discovered the back is shorter than the front. However, it hikes up when I bend over anyway so it is ok.....and besides no one will see it unless they are walking directly toward me".

If one makes a mistake or error and not sure what to do.....don't ask other's opinions. You will get as many opinions as those who post

stillclock 12-01-2013 02:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i knew before i posted it that there was no fix it if i wasn't willing to pull out 5 or 6 hours worth of work.

sometimes i come here for the assurance of others who have made mistakes. and while i know sometimes we fix them at great expense in time or tears, i also know that sometimes our vicious self-criticism can be soothed by others who know it is to make something less than perfect and live with it.

thanks for your thoughts. here's the error - in the end and once it's all done, any one who notices will notice. and then appreciate the hundreds of hours of work that went into simply finishing it.

and i would be sad if people stopped posting their mistakes and stopped sharing their vulnerabilities. it would make this community a whole lot colder if we did that.

aileen

pea ess: the cable's incomplete, but i wanted to post the picture and i have to get busy in the kitchen....

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-01-2013 02:27 PM

If you gave the quilt to me, I would not have noticed the problem. That is the absolute truth. I'm not an inspector and I wouldn't have noticed.