Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need to fix a parachute..help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-fix-parachute-help-t92994.html)

magnolia 01-22-2011 09:19 PM

I currently work at an after school program for kids. We have a giant parachute we use to play games that is made of nylon. The parachute has some holes in it that is making it unusable. How can I repair these holes? One of the things we do with is it have about 6 kids at a time sit in the middle of the parachute while we run and spin the kids around so it would need to be a strong fix and not easily rippable (not sure if that's a word or not.

Thank you for the help.

irishrose 01-22-2011 09:34 PM

Find some Ripstop nylon and zigzag some patches on the weak areas. JoAnn's used to carry it and I have found it at WalMart in the $1 a yard section. Ripstop has lines woven into and is stronger than regular weave. I have a yard of white if you can't find any. I think it's a yard. I bought it for a dog coat, then used fleece instead.

magnolia 01-22-2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Find some Ripstop nylon and zigzag some patches on the weak areas. JoAnn's used to carry it and I have found it at WalMart in the $1 a yard section. Ripstop has lines woven into and is stronger than regular weave. I have a yard of white if you can't find any. I think it's a yard. I bought it for a dog coat, then used fleece instead.

Thanks, I will look and see if I can find some. Do you think regular thread would work okay?

sewwhat85 01-22-2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose

i think that should fix the problelm

mom-6 01-23-2011 04:36 AM

If you are worried about the thread breaking, you could use dental floss instead

girlsfour 01-23-2011 04:48 AM

Hancock Fabrics carries Ripstop nylon. I heard Joanne doesn't carry it anymore. Suppose you could find it online as well.

amma 01-23-2011 10:08 AM

I am wondering if gluing it would make the patches stronger than sewing the ripstop patches on? The holes from the needle would make more weak spots?
Or if you are going to sew, maybe put a patch on the top and bottom to reinforce the fabric? :D:D:D

genghis khan 01-23-2011 10:18 AM

I actually own a real military grade parachute that is complete, the recommended way to repair that is as its been suggested to you, to use ripstop nylon for the patch. also its recommeded to turn under the edges of the patch to reinforce where your gonna stitch about a half inch, for thread its recommended a bonded nylon#69 or kevlar Tex 60 with a zig zag stitch, hope this helps. Chris

magnolia 01-23-2011 10:39 AM

Thank you for all of the replies. Also, do you think it would help to use duct tape over the torn spot and then a ripstop patch with the heavier thread?

irishrose 01-23-2011 11:09 AM

Duct tape is very heavy per square inch. I'd skip it. Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread is quite strong. With a wide, relatively close together zigzag stitch, it will hold. Turning the edges under is a given, then sew around the edge and finally a X from corner to corner of the patch. If you want a second row of stitching, don't go over the first - go inside at least 5/8 of an inch. Too many stitches will weaken the old nylon.

My white Ripstop is 2 yards minus a corner I used to patch a dog crate.

When I worked in a kindergarten, we play various games with a parachute, but I don't think any involved children ON the parachute. Around, under, but never on. Maybe the seams aren't strong enough for the pulling. Just a thought.