Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help deciding about my Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-deciding-about-my-quilt-t60246.html)

SueDor 08-19-2010 02:29 PM

If you have a darker green, I think that would put a zip to it. Love the butterflies.

Melanie S. 08-19-2010 02:40 PM

Awesome butterflies! Your curves are beautiful.

There are some rich colors in the center butterfly that don't appear elsewhere in the quilt. Do you have anything in the stash that would highlight those colors and make the whole quilt pop?

Pink (an appropriate shade, of course) might be nice, since you already have green. I like to use complimentary colors on the color wheel whenever I can.

SuziC 08-19-2010 02:41 PM

That's a good idea. It will look like you planned it that way

Jim's Gem 08-19-2010 03:04 PM

As the others have said, use the print on half the blocks and then alternate them.

mom-6 08-19-2010 04:18 PM

I like the idea of alternating the print border blocks with the solid border blocks.

Your butterflies are beautiful! One additional suggestion for you to take it or leave it...on the butterfly with the very pale background print, how about going over the outline of the wings with a darker thread to keep it from almost disappearing into the fabric it is appliqued to.

kristen0112 08-19-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
As long as the ones with the print border are evenly dispersed, I think it will look just fine.

I agree, I think if you frame the remaining 5 in this new fabric and disperse them evenly it will look as though you intended it to be that way.

sewingladydi 08-19-2010 04:35 PM

I think your idea will work out fine and it will look like that was your original plan. These little things teach us to improvise on our quilts and lots of times the unplanned things give a quilt that little "extra" that makes it special.

littlehud 08-19-2010 06:02 PM

I like the idea of alternating borders on the blocks. That would be so pretty. IMHO

fuail 08-19-2010 06:14 PM

You did a beautiful job on the butterflies!
Here's my 2 cents: Since you already have the borders on the light green, keep this, put the new green as a border on the center butterfly, and also as a border around the whole top. Personally, I'm a fan of saving a step and using what you have!

irenecarter 08-19-2010 10:47 PM

Thank all of you for your ideas. I went back and found that I needed 10 more blocks so that I could center the block with the black. I only have one of them. I intend to stitch around each butterfly with black thread to make it pop ----I hope.I was thinking of quilting it with the pattern with black thread. In other words outlining each butterfly with black as a quilting design. I intend to use the colors of green that I have and then since this will be a king size, put a border around it. Since I have left overs of each color butterfly, do you think a border of blocks of each one like strips would work? The colors don't stand out much in the picture, but they are bright.