Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help deciding on a sewing machine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-deciding-sewing-machine-t37482.html)

Charlee 02-20-2010 07:40 PM

I have the Janome 8077... so far, it's been a rockin' little machine! I love it, even tho it might not be anything to "write home about" it's certainly done the job that I need it to do!
The repair guy in another store compared it to the Magnolia...

nursie76 02-20-2010 07:45 PM

I recently read that Kenmore was made by Janome. So perhaps it might be a good idea to take a look at the Kenmores. I know they used to be a good product. Before you shop around make sure you make a list of the features you just can't live without. It will help making the decision.

JanetM 02-20-2010 10:03 PM

To get the most for your money I would suggest taking a little time to call all of the sewing machine dealers within a reasonable distance to your home.
The manufacturers; Husqvarna Viking, Bernina, Janome, Elna are always bringing out new models and oftentimes people trade their machines in to upgrade to the latest model.
My local Husqvarna Viking (great machines) dealer has no less than 20 gently used machines at any one time that have been completely checked out and serviced and are ready for sale. You can find what originally were expensive machines at bargain prices. My local dealer warranties his machines and offers free classes. He also gives you all the time you need to test drive them to be sure you get the perfect one for your needs.
You might be able to get a better machine than you thought possible.

sewcrafty 02-23-2010 04:10 AM

I don't have a fancy machine. I spent about $200 on it about 16-17 yrs ago and it still works fine. It probably has about 60 stitch functions. Are you looking for a workhorse or an everything machine? I'm not a speed quilter. I actually like taking my time and enjoying the process. So machines with 400-1000 stitches a minute would probably be nice, but for me not necessary. See where I'm going? What's going to fit your needs and budget? You can always upgrade? That's now what I'm probably going to do, but my machine still works!! :-) Hard to give up an old friend. Maybe get it a friend!

ConnieF 02-23-2010 04:21 AM

I agree with you stay away from the Singer's. They was once upon a time wonderfull machines. Not now a day.
Bying from a dealer is many time better. WalMart or Handcocks
have to send machines out to be serviced. You could be without your machine for 2 to 3 weeks. The needle up needle down is a must and like you said stay away from set length and widths. Hope you both find a good machine and YES re ferbished machine are get for the $$$$ sometime you get a lot more for your $$$. When I workes in a sewing machine shop they was completley gone through and has a 6 month to a years warrenty. The lesser machine a short time but the better machines a longer time.

ConnieF 02-23-2010 04:22 AM

love the chicken pin cushion

brushandthimble 02-23-2010 04:42 AM

I too would suggest avoiding Singer
Baby Lock and Brother are ususally good machine, along with the previous list.
A used one from a dealer can get you a higher end model at a lower price. They would come with a warrenty. If you are going to do the quilting of the three layers keep in mind the space under the arm, called throat space.
Let us know what you decide.

MarthaVA 02-23-2010 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
love the chicken pin cushion

Thanks! I've made 3 and I love them too. I gave 1 to my good friend - she is the one that talked me into buying the pattern because she loved the chickens in the quilt shop. :-) So she got my first one, and I got my second one, and my cousin in CA who finally convinced me to start quilting, got the third one yesterday and loves it. :-)
I'm just using mine for decoration (and my friend is doing the same).
Martha in VA

MarthaVA 02-23-2010 04:53 AM

Thanks for all the info!
I'm going out today, may try to stop in Sears and check them out.
My hubby went to the city yesterday (where Hancocks is) and I was so hoping he'd bring home the machine...........but alas, it didn't happen. This has been a bad month for money flying out the window, so I guess I'll just have to wait. That's ok - I bought a darning foot in Hancocks with a 50% off coupon for JoAnns and they took it! I only paid $13 for a $26 darning foot! :lol: VERY happy cuz it fits my machine AND it makes FMQ easy! (my Brother doesn't have drop dogs).
So for now, I'm just shopping around. My LQS has a machine repair person that will repair ANY machine, so I don't have to worry about service.