Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help getting info on this! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-getting-info-t114883.html)

nett2 04-09-2011 07:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found this ironer today that looks and works great. I'd like to know how old it is but I can't find any info on the internet. So-o I figure this is the next place to go.
Anyone know what the value might be?
Seems like it would be great to iron fabric after washing it.

Beebee 04-09-2011 07:39 PM

You have come across a machine we used in the '50's. It was before we could afford dryers and hung our sheets outside to dry. This is an iron for sending the sheets through. I got really good with it and could even iron husbands shirts. It's got a name, I think it was "clothes mangler"

TonnieLoree 04-09-2011 07:39 PM

Too funny! It is called a "mangle". My parents owned a motel and we used to launder all of our sheets, and before permanent press became widely available we used this mangle for pressing. I can't tell you the age of this, but do not expect it to give you good crisp seams. These were mainly used in laundry services that are only looking for a quick method to iron huge amounts of linens. We used ours in the early to mid 70's and it was old then.

spartan quilter 04-09-2011 07:42 PM

I remember using one of those as a child, ironing hankies. We called it a mangle. Don't ask me why. But it sure did work good on flat items. Not as portable as this one appears. Ours was in a cabinet and weighed a LOT!!!

sewwhat85 04-09-2011 08:24 PM

i used to iron sheets and pillow cases on one in the late 50' early 60'

QuiltE 04-09-2011 09:30 PM

I used one of those as a kid ... though ours was a floor model, self standing!

Sheets, tea towels, hankies, aprons ... most anything. We even did my Dad's shirts on it.

Strange enough ... I was thinking of it the other day, and thinking how it'd be nice for ironing fabric!

nett2 04-09-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I used one of those as a kid ... though ours was a floor model, self standing!

Sheets, tea towels, hankies, aprons ... most anything. We even did my Dad's shirts on it.

Strange enough ... I was thinking of it the other day, and thinking how it'd be nice for ironing fabric!

I thought it'd be nice for ironing fabric because I hate ironing large pieces on my ironing board. I don't have space for a large ironing table.

dellareya 04-09-2011 10:03 PM

This looks like a "portable" model. My mother had one that was about 4 feet long and was 4 ft high. It was free standing. Believe it or not I learned how to iron on it. It was huge. In those days women had "washing" rooms where these could be housed. It would be great for ironing fabric. Enjoy your find. I mentioned about using one on my facebook page and 2 people contacted me about giving me theirs. I just wish I had a place to keep it.

quiltmaker 04-10-2011 03:48 AM

Great vintage item...I imagine it would work great for ironing those large pieces of fabrics.

emerald46 04-10-2011 04:09 AM

Wow - I remember our neighbor having one. I loved going over and ironing hankies and pillow cases for her.