Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help with my new "stash closet"! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-my-new-%22stash-closet%22-t60558.html)

canuckninepatch 08-21-2010 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, friends and fellow quilters. My DH has just finished turning the closet in my sewing room (our empty nester's second bedroom) into a fabric stash for me. I love it, but the big dilemma is, do I have him put the solid wood sliding closet doors back on, or not. The window in the room is on the opposite side of the room, and faces direct west, so I always make sure to have the blinds drawn in the afternoon or the sun blazes in.

Fading, dust, etc. are my concerns, but I love the openness, and the inspiration looking at all my fabrics gives me.

What do you think?

sueisallaboutquilts 08-21-2010 05:24 AM

I have the doors off and I love it. I keep the blinds down when I'm not in there.

raptureready 08-21-2010 05:25 AM

I would piece curtains that I could tie back when I wanted. Or you could always use the doors and cover them with flannel so that you'd have a design wall. If you choose that, run strips of velcro down each side of your doors, wash and put velcro down each side of your flannel. That way if it should get soiled you can take it off and wash it. If you put the velcro on the back side and wrap the flannel around when you take it off you wouldn't see the velcro strips.

Gramma B 08-21-2010 05:27 AM

The doors on my closet never got put on; don't really care if they get put on. I use the light from the closet when I'm pressing; so it works out for me.

Annaquilts 08-21-2010 06:04 AM

I like them on else I get visual sensory over load with all that stuff. I like the idea of the flannel on the door so it can be used as a display wall. I am also a bit of a freak about dust so the doors would hopefully cut down on some of that. Very nice closet area by the way!

I am also not sure if anyone else has this but I do not always like everyone to see and commend on my stash when they walk into my sewing room. I do have people in there all the time and I have a Quilt Bee at my house weekly.

It is probably all a personal prefference thing. It seems like you are really enjoying it open so maybe go for that right now and consider closing the windows off to shut out sunlight when you are not in the room. That is is if you are concerned about that. the doors would definitely make it feel less accessable since only half opens up at a time.

seamstome 08-21-2010 06:06 AM

I would put them back on.

bearisgray 08-21-2010 06:06 AM

I recommend doors or a curtain to keep light out.

Some fabrics do fade in light - on the fold lines.

ganny 08-21-2010 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Hello, friends and fellow quilters. My DH has just finished turning the closet in my sewing room (our empty nester's second bedroom) into a fabric stash for me. I love it, but the big dilemma is, do I have him put the solid wood sliding closet doors back on, or not. The window in the room is on the opposite side of the room, and faces direct west, so I always make sure to have the blinds drawn in the afternoon or the sun blazes in.

Fading, dust, etc. are my concerns, but I love the openness, and the inspiration looking at all my fabrics gives me.

I love the open look, especially with a nice stash look like you have.
What do you think?

:thumbup:

lovequilts 08-21-2010 06:11 AM

That looks so great. Very nice. I'd leave them off. If you might be concerned about dust and fading, you might want to install a curtain as suggested above. I am planning on putting shelving in my 2nd bedroom for my fabric Labor Day weekend, but this will be a "labor of love". I want to see all my stash. So tired of plastic bins I have to plow through and they are very heavy. I will post before and after.

ganny 08-21-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ganny

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch

I love the open look, especially with a nice stash look like you have.
What do you think?

:thumbup:

Answered in the wrong place, didn't I? Sorry, new at this.