Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Need Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-t31404.html)

healthgram 12-12-2009 07:25 AM

I everyone. I am new to this board and have been enjoying looking through comments that have been posted.

My problem is that my granddaughter wants a Kelly Green and white flanned quilt and I cannot find a true Kelly Green flannel anywhere. So, I have a question. Can you mix different fabrics with flannel. I can find broad cloth, or fleece. Would it work to use flannel and combine it with one of these fabrics. Or, does anyone have any suggestions that I have not thought of.

Thanks so very much, Healthgram :)

sharon b 12-12-2009 07:44 AM

I personally would not mix other fabrics with flannel since flannel tends to shrink A LOT and the other fabrics may not shrink at the same rate it may distiort the shape . You could try wasing the flannel several times and drying to get all the sshrinkage out of it. What about just using cotton ?

healthgram 12-12-2009 07:50 AM

Thanks so much for your response. I've made all cotton quilts and all flannel quilts, but I have never mixed types of fabrics. I'm sure you are correct about the shrinkage.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Shemjo 12-12-2009 08:00 AM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri. Have you gone on line to look for a Kelly Green flannel? Wishing you luck on finding it, as I would not mix flannel and regular cotton. Would she consider fleece?

bearisgray 12-12-2009 08:18 AM

If all the fabrics have been shrunk, it would probably be okay to mix flannel and "ordinary" quilting cotton.

I prefer not to mix batiks - because they seem to be so tightly woven as compared to the ordinary quilting cottons - with the "regular" quilting cottons.

I also prefer to keep approximately the same weight fabrics on the same side - for example, I would consider a denim backing with lighter weight fabrics for the topping.

There really are no LAWS about what you can or can not do. It seems to come down to what you like, what you have available, and can you make it work out.

healthgram 12-12-2009 08:38 AM

I am really enjoying all of these replys. I have looked online for kelly Green flannel and so far, none of it looks like the Kelly Green I need to get close to. Glad to know there are no LAWS about mixing fabrics. I have found a beautiful Kelly Green fleece that I considered. I may go that route. i will eventually post which route I take.

Thanks again, Healthgram :)

Jim's Gem 12-12-2009 10:28 AM

Welcome from Southern California

healthgram 12-12-2009 11:00 AM

Thanks for the link to fabric.com. I'll check it out. :)

Skeat 12-12-2009 12:32 PM

Welcome from Missouri...and, I am presently working on a quilt now w/both cottons and homespun flannels...:)I'd say a quilter can quilt whatever they want to:)Good luck on searching for that k. green....I'm sure they are out there! :thumbup:

Leota 12-12-2009 12:57 PM

Welcome Healthgram from Oklahoma