Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a little Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-little-help-t224582.html)

davef 06-26-2013 10:42 AM

I need a little Help

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on a flying geese border and I made the corners round. My problem is that I have no clue how to sew the inside of the corner. If someone would please look at the picture and then explain to me how to sew the inside piece into the corner.

I was not able to find this Flying Geese corner on the internet so I made my own paper piece pattern. If anyone would like the pattern I will be glad to send it on to you.

IzzysGrammie 06-26-2013 11:42 AM

Sewing curves is sometimes pretty difficult. The best way is to sew a stay-stitch line on the black fabric, and clip the curve seam. You would have to clip it a lot on this tight of a curve. Pin carefully and sew slowly. But if this were me, I would make a lining for the black piece and top-stitch it to the base. Good luck and please post finished piece for us!!

PaperPrincess 06-26-2013 11:56 AM

If you go to youtube, there are lots of videos on sewing a curved seam. The problem I see is not the sewing so much as drafting the piece that you want to attach to your flying geese unit. If you look at drunkard's path templates you can see that the 2 curves are cut a lot differently from each other.

tessagin 06-26-2013 12:09 PM

I just check the YouTube tutorials. They all state to take it slow and easy.

nativetexan 06-26-2013 12:21 PM

there is a tute in this forum on curved seams. I do drunkards path block and love to pin. I pin the center, the ends/edges and in between. then sew. some do clip a bit to release the inner curve. good luck. great flying geese!

Baloonatic 06-26-2013 03:52 PM

I think I see what you are asking. You can't sew the two together until you either make the quilt corners rounded to match up with the flying geese border (practice that unequal curve on scrap fabric first!), or square up the flying geese to match the quilt. You could add black to the inner sides of the flying geese unit to make it square. If it's not a problem, that would add a few inches to the border width.

davef 06-27-2013 04:42 AM

Thank you to everyone for your help.. I finally watched a you-tube video on the drunkards path and I got all 4 corners done great ....thanks again

quiltapillow 06-27-2013 05:23 AM

I have made alot of wedding rings and other curved patterns and my DH years ago bought me the Curved foot for piecing and it works great; Just let the fabric follow the foot; its kinda like a groove for the fabric to follow. Hope this helps a bit. Basting under and then sewing does work also.

nativetexan 06-27-2013 06:13 AM

Great! i'm glad you got them done. can't wait to see the finished product!!!

shirleyd 06-28-2013 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6146425)
Great! i'm glad you got them done. can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Same here! I'd love to see it. I haven't tried curves yet.