Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need MAJOR help with joining 60-degree triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-major-help-joining-60-degree-triangles-t91209.html)

Ethel A 01-16-2011 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the 60-degree strip ruler by Creative Grids to make the "Bejeweled" Table Runner by "The Quilt Company." I followed the instructions as they are written. I cut my triangles from my jelly roll. I sewed the triangle side-by-side, the grain edge (opposite to the clipped edge) always on the outer sides of the row of triangles.

Here's my problem...

When I'm ready to join the rows together, I end up NOT with a point on the triangles. I lose the points. Joining the triangles together is nothing like making flying geese (where you have 1/4" of fabric beyond the top point of the triangle). After joining these triangles, I have finished points without the 1/4" of additional fabric beyond the points.

What am I doing wrong? If you have this pattern and ruler, could you please enlighten me?

Thank you so much!

dunster 01-16-2011 06:51 PM

When you sew the triangles together into the strip, the points should be recessed 1/4 inch from the outside of the strip. Yours are right at the outside of the strip. The problem is with the first seams (sorry!) not with joining the strips.

CoyoteQuilts 01-16-2011 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any time you are putting this type of block together your 'point' should be 1/4 inch in from the edge. That way when you sew the 'rows' together you don't loose the points.

Here is a picture of an example, even though it is 1/2 square triangles and flying geese, it is the same concept. Look at the left edge of the left block on the bottom edge.

kriscraft99 01-16-2011 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a 60 degree triangle just for this reason, one part of the triangle has a flat edge - (the tip is gone).. it makes it a bit easier - but triangles are difficult for me... below is a picture of the one I use - I watched a segment on Fons & Porter talking about how the tip being cut off helps line up your triangles.

amma 01-16-2011 06:55 PM

When you sew the triangles together, place the pieces right sides together, make sure that the tips on both pieces are sticking out equally. If one is out further than the other, your strips won't be nice and straight :D:D:D

patchsamkim 01-16-2011 07:02 PM

Are you sure you are sewing an accurate 1/4" seam? That possibly is the problem and why your rows aren't able to be sewn together without cutting off points/etc.

dunster 01-16-2011 07:20 PM

If you're putting equilateral (60 degree) triangles together to form a strip, you really don't want to have the corners trimmed from the triangles. Use the triangle corners to line them up as you sew.

ktbb 01-16-2011 07:46 PM

Guess Amma already said this......Ethel, do you have the same ruler as Kriscraft has with the tip cut off? If not, then you may need to cut off the tips or move the triangles "up" so that the tip of each triangle sticks out of the side of the strip as you piece them.

jemma 01-16-2011 07:57 PM

so let me be sure--if you have the tip cut off triangles [as ruler shown]you then line up the end of each triangle exact tip to toe to make a strip--[after 3 edits i think i have the question clearish]-- any one know of a vidio

ktbb 01-16-2011 08:14 PM

Sorry, don't have a tutorial but by george, I think you've got it...cutting the tip off makes the "top" of the triangle wider, so that after you sew on the two adjacent triangles you still have a point left that is about one quarter inch from the side of the strip. If you look at the top of the ruler that Kriscraft put in her post you may be able to see the reason more clearly...the large black triangle will be your finished triangle size and the clear edges are the seam allowances...you can see where with the tip cut off and the seam allowances "taken off" you have the black point a quarter inch from the edge of the strip.